Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: petermigreen on March 14, 2017, 07:13:52 PM

Title: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: petermigreen on March 14, 2017, 07:13:52 PM
Evening all. I have acquired a US import 500 with a makers plate showing 12/72 and serial numbers starting CB500-211****.
date suggests K1 but on checking the serial numbers against records these suggest K2?

What do the experts think please?
Thanks, Peter.
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: Nurse Julie on March 14, 2017, 08:49:09 PM
Trigger says K2.
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: JamesH on March 14, 2017, 08:50:50 PM
Looks to be K2..
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: petermigreen on March 14, 2017, 09:18:47 PM
Thank you dear people.
I haven't found any information that lists any significant changes from K1 to K2 except for colour changes. Is that correct?
Thanks again, Peter.
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: Nurse Julie on March 14, 2017, 09:21:54 PM
Trigger says.....clocks and clock bracket is one difference that springs to mind
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: Bryanj on March 15, 2017, 07:00:31 AM
Honda ID book sez anything starting 21 is a K2 released 10th April 73 so would have to be built earlier to gets stock for sale. colours Candy Bacchus Olive; Flake Sunrise Orange;Maxim Brown Metallic (all with black) Large instruments tilted towards rider. First record I have of a 21 number is built 8/72
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: petermigreen on March 15, 2017, 07:09:15 AM
All very helpful thanks.
Sold to me as a K1 so glad I've sorted that out.
Clocks do seem large though I've nothing to compare them to.
Thanks again gang!
Peter.
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: Seabeowner on March 15, 2017, 08:35:31 AM
Think just about all 500s sold in UK were K1. (with small clocks) Some must have been hanging about for a while as I bought a new one in Aug 74. No idea of the frame No now. But notice the engine numbers of a couple of 500s I've had recently have started with 21 but the frames have been 20. They were "N" and "P" reg.
Title: Re: CB500 K1 or K2?
Post by: Bryanj on March 15, 2017, 04:48:41 PM
Honda kept making K1 for the UK market and were made up until 1975 so not old stock