Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: PennoK3 on March 17, 2017, 04:27:24 PM

Title: Main Bearing Shells
Post by: PennoK3 on March 17, 2017, 04:27:24 PM
I have a 550 K3 engine for rebuild.   I have all the original shells, one crankcase half has them in place the others are loose. They all look in good shape but there doesn't appear to be any code on the cases.   Any tips for sorting this out please?
Title: Re: Main Bearing Shells
Post by: Bryanj on March 17, 2017, 11:03:37 PM
you are stuffed mate unless you can determine the colour codes on the sides
Title: Re: Main Bearing Shells
Post by: PennoK3 on March 18, 2017, 08:43:55 AM
Many thanks guys
Title: Re: Main Bearing Shells
Post by: PennoK3 on April 18, 2017, 08:19:45 PM
You look at things for ages and just can't see!!!  On the rear of the crankcase in big letters is crudely stamped C C B F B, could this be the shell code? but not sure the relevance of the F?
Title: Re: Main Bearing Shells
Post by: PennoK3 on April 19, 2017, 06:41:14 PM
Looking at it again it almost looks like a P so I'm thinking it could be a badly done B.   I've measured the thickness of the shells with a Micrometer and they are 1.53, 1.52, 1.54, 1.59. 1.61.

Title: Re: Main Bearing Shells
Post by: mike the bike on April 19, 2017, 07:57:37 PM
I've got half a B stamped on mine.  Sounds like a Monty Python song  ;D