Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Dave487 on March 20, 2017, 08:46:35 PM

Title: crankshaft journals
Post by: Dave487 on March 20, 2017, 08:46:35 PM
I've checked the big-ends and main bearing today using Plastigauge and both are within the service limits despite the engine having done over 61000 miles.
Both the shells and journals looked quite good with just a bit of polishing in the load direction.
I was expecting to have to replace them all but the big end had clearance of 0.038mm and main bearing clearance 0.063. The service limit on both is 0.08.
So I might replace the main bearing shells, but the big-ends should last some time with regular oil changes.

Any comments guys.
Title: Re: crankshaft journals
Post by: mike the bike on March 20, 2017, 09:08:17 PM
I'm almost at the same stage - checking clearances with plastigauge,  so this is all useful info.
Title: Re: crankshaft journals
Post by: Dave487 on March 21, 2017, 10:21:48 AM
First time I had used it, but all very straightforward.
Title: Re: crankshaft journals
Post by: kevski on March 21, 2017, 01:06:48 PM
Still good for a lot more miles, regular oil and filter changes will see to that.