Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Ashdowner on March 23, 2017, 07:40:47 AM

Title: Gaskets - to grease or not to grease
Post by: Ashdowner on March 23, 2017, 07:40:47 AM
No subject on earth brings up more differing opinions. The only reason I can see to grease a gasket such as a cylinder base/head gasket seems to be that if you need to pull the bike apart again it rescues the gasket. Is there any other reason for greasing the gasket, because I would never reuse engine gaskets on principle. I intend to put mine on dry - am I correct?
Title: Re: Gaskets - to grease or not to grease
Post by: MrDavo on March 23, 2017, 08:18:32 AM
If Honda intended their gaskets to seal properly through a layer of grease they would tell you to use it, they didn't.

That said I have recently spent hours scraping away at stuck on gaskets, but they weren't leaking.
Title: Re: Gaskets - to grease or not to grease
Post by: hairygit on March 23, 2017, 08:37:16 AM
Genuine gaskets will seal perfectly well fitted dry. Greasing them makes them easier to remove when a casing has to be opened for whatever reason. I grease gaskets, just because it saves a lot of hassle and time removing traces of old gasket before fitting new replacement. I agree that re using old gaskets is not a good idea, they are relatively cheap compared to having to do the job again because of a leak! I grease all gaskets except head gaskets.
Title: Re: Gaskets - to grease or not to grease
Post by: Ashdowner on March 23, 2017, 01:03:39 PM
Right guys, based on the words of two SOHC officianados I am going to put them on dry in the full expectation that I won't be taking them off again in the near future. Thanks for your help