Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Ashdowner on March 26, 2017, 10:59:19 AM

Title: Piston ring compressors
Post by: Ashdowner on March 26, 2017, 10:59:19 AM
Is it easy to use piston ring compressors when rebuilding a CB550? It strikes me that there's not much space with the barrells dropped to get the compressors out when the last two pistons have gone in.
Title: Re: Piston ring compressors
Post by: mike the bike on March 26, 2017, 11:17:34 AM
Try using the coke can and cable tie method.
Title: Re: Piston ring compressors
Post by: Bryanj on March 26, 2017, 11:41:09 AM
Unless it is way overbored you don't need them as there is a taper at the bottom of the liners
Title: Re: Piston ring compressors
Post by: Ashdowner on March 26, 2017, 12:10:12 PM
Bryan that how' I've done it (by myself) in the past on twin cylinder Honda's with a 180 degree crank without any problem but my mate who's helping me keeps telling me that compressors are essential on a 4 cylinder to avoid fiddling about with the last 2 cylinders. Think I'll tell him to shut up and get on with it. 
Title: Re: Piston ring compressors
Post by: Bryanj on March 26, 2017, 12:12:27 PM
I think Trigger and oddjob will agree that all you need is patience and a small screwdriver as the barrels will not slide down on the two fitted ones whilst you get the last two in
Title: Re: Piston ring compressors
Post by: Seabeowner on March 26, 2017, 01:36:23 PM
Did it yesterday on the 500 and two people make the job much easier. 2&3 at top first. Then turn engine to bring up 1 &4. As Bryan said just finger nails or rather thumb nails in my case and gently jiggling to use the taper. (and just the gentlest tap with my hand once I was sure that things were going ok.) I put a tiny amount of thin grease on the taper before I started, but maybe someone will tell me that's a bad idea. And then a dose of oil. from the top.