Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Clem2112 on May 20, 2017, 07:14:50 PM

Title: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: Clem2112 on May 20, 2017, 07:14:50 PM
For the second time since the bike's rebuild the circlip parted company with the shaft today.
Just made it down a slip road in second luckily.
I may have used a non standard circlip burpt it looks like the groove in the shaft is a bit shallow?
Anyone here come up with a better way to retain the lever in this setup?
Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 20, 2017, 08:42:35 PM
I had exactly the same thing happen last summer on my 400/4, half way around quite a fast corner !!. Put a standard size circlip back on and fingers crossed, hasn't come adrift again. But, like you say, the groove does seem very shallow.
Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: mike the bike on May 20, 2017, 08:45:58 PM
I cut the groove deeper with a hacksaw, it hasn't fallen off since. ;)
Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: Clem2112 on May 20, 2017, 11:44:53 PM
That idea crossed my mind too , after a beer !
It would be a really tricky job to re plunge cut the groove on a lathe after all.
Cheers.
Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: PatM on May 21, 2017, 12:37:38 PM
Easier that stripping it off to mount it on a lathe! Dremel might assist, but junior hacksaw would be kinder and easier- less chance of going too far!
Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: mike the bike on May 21, 2017, 05:12:35 PM
I had a closer look at mine; It's been a while since I modified it but I drilled through the shaft and fitted a split pin.
Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: Clem2112 on May 22, 2017, 09:48:45 AM
I guess a washer and split pin or R clip would be option 2.
 First find a sharp 1.5 mm drill

Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: Clem2112 on May 24, 2017, 09:02:20 PM
Drilled it. Stainless washer fettled to fit the pivot and retained with a split pin.
I defy it to fail again !
Title: Re: Gear lever circlip groove wear?
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 24, 2017, 09:16:44 PM
I think I should do the same modification sometime, it's really not a nice feeling when you go to change gear and there is nothing to change gear with !!!