Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: kevski on September 09, 2017, 01:12:53 PM

Title: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: kevski on September 09, 2017, 01:12:53 PM
Just seen this on ebay, it's my old k3 500, i sold it in 2003 and have always regretted it, looks like it's suffered a bit under it's latest owner who bought it a couple of years ago, i done the disc conversion and the boyer, i also had the valve cover repaired when it was mine, the most reliable bike i have ever owned.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB-500-Four-/182747774984?hash=item2a8c9dc008:g:twkAAOSwxw1ZrWID

Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: hairygit on September 09, 2017, 01:22:20 PM
What I don't get, is he says manufactured 1977, so how does it have a "P" registration (Late75-76)???????
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: kevski on September 09, 2017, 02:07:11 PM
I bought it from the importer, and that's the number it came with.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: K2-K6 on September 09, 2017, 02:49:39 PM
Have you got a bid in for it then? Doesn't look a bad price range for it.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: kevski on September 09, 2017, 03:10:48 PM
If I had room I would buy it back at full asking price, it's only got 10k more miles on it than it had 14 years ago.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: K2-K6 on September 09, 2017, 04:28:51 PM
I guess that given the feelings others on here have expressed about getting an old bike back it's a difficult one to reconcile.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: Ashdowner on September 10, 2017, 05:00:40 PM
According to the model guide on SOHC there's no such thing as a CB500K3 (unless the guide is incorrect). It went K0-K2 from 1971 to 1973. It's also quite clearly got a CB550K3 tank on it and P46 carbs which I believe were 550K3 & K4. Also the clutch is CB550 unless someone has used the clutch and actuating mechanism from a 550 (which fits without modification). P registration would make it a 1975 bike. Very odd all round unless I'm wrong.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: Seabeowner on September 10, 2017, 05:27:00 PM
Ashdowner, this came up a while ago take a look here:
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,12863.msg100137.html#msg100137
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: kevski on September 10, 2017, 05:27:44 PM
Ashdowner, you are wrong, I was the first uk owner of this bike, I bought it from the importer the dating certificate was filled out wrong but got registered anyway, my brother had a 550k3 at the same time identical in everyway except displacement and side panel badges which only difference is the middle zero, I double disked it put the boyer on, put the green clocks on and braided lines, the clocks also had 1050 miles more than the original kph clocks had on them.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: deltarider on September 10, 2017, 07:43:29 PM
Quote
According to the model guide on SOHC
That model guide has a lot of errors. You know how it is on the internet. Things stay there like the plastic soup in the ocean.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: Bryanj on September 11, 2017, 07:48:55 AM
Also the 550 clutch cover will not fit on 500 cases as its a different shape and if you look at a K3 parts book it states 500/550 K3
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: Ashdowner on September 11, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
I think Seabeaowner has the answer. As for the clutch swap I'm sure someone posted a few months back that they'd done it.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: matthewmosse on September 11, 2017, 01:16:09 PM
Cb550 clutch operates off a rather different mechanism, so the push rod runs through the output gearshaft on a cb500, but not on the cb550, also the lower crankcase is a different shape by the kickstarter so swapping covers leaves a hole here. It is possible to build a hybrid engine with a cb500 top case and therefore engine number but a cb550 clutch cover and clutch I believe as I have an unfinished example from a cb500 hardtail chop I bought sans any clutch or cover and a cb550k3 job lot of bits where the camchain tensioner had let go taking the whole top end, and the gearbox selectors and dogs with it. It's a fairly involved job and it took me a few attempts to get everything selecting gears nicely though that was my first attempt to do any engine work. Sadly I robbed the intended top end for another k3 that had dropped a valve so the resultant bottom end is sat in a loft with a gauge intention of dropping a cb650 top end on there to build a hybrid engine from discarded spares. Will be interesting if it ever happens.
Title: Re: My old 500 k3 on ebay
Post by: Bryanj on September 11, 2017, 04:15:40 PM
Matt the cb650 top end doesnt add much as the 650 had a longer stroke to get the cc hike