Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: corromant on November 20, 2017, 01:32:57 PM

Title: Kick start
Post by: corromant on November 20, 2017, 01:32:57 PM
Bit of advice guys; I'm rebuilding the engine of my 500 four after a complete strip down & have a bit of a problem with the kickstart assembly. When I assemble the shaft & other bits into the case it's secured with a small (about 12mm) circlip which sits in a very shallow grove only .25mm deep. So I get it assembled the jiggle the shaft about a little at which point the circlip pops off & most of the bits spring off the shaft.
Am I missing something or is it just a crap design?

It's driving me nuts HELP please

Conrad

Title: Re: Kick start
Post by: Bryanj on November 20, 2017, 01:41:35 PM
Its not the best design but the circlip normally stays on as long as the groove edges are not worn and the circlip tight
Title: Re: Kick start
Post by: corromant on November 20, 2017, 03:35:06 PM
Sorted, it was simply me not locating the circlip properly, was told I should hear a definite click when it located. Had another try & hay presto seems ok now, touch wood. 
Title: Re: Kick start
Post by: Trigger on November 20, 2017, 07:16:16 PM
They do pop out, so give it a few kicks to make sure before you put the sump on. I always put a little retainer on, as I have had a few pop off.  ;)
Title: Re: Kick start
Post by: corromant on November 20, 2017, 08:49:31 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, another little query the ratchet can go on 2 ways, I presume it matters & I think I've got it on the correct way round but would like to be sure.

Thanks Conrad