Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Sgt.Pinback on December 15, 2017, 07:34:37 AM

Title: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: Sgt.Pinback on December 15, 2017, 07:34:37 AM
I had a VF1000F inh the 90th. Came from my brother in law. Good bike, quick Autobahn-burner, very reliable. Made lots of km with her into the Alpes, Slowenia etc.

End of 90th, when I bought my first ZRX, I had to realize, there is nothing more anoying than selling a V4 Honda.
Even one perfect conditon with full service history. But eventually, I convinced a lad to buy her.

OK, thats 17 years ago I now I´ve been offered an early one for a box of beer. More or less neglected, standing for 4-5 years in a barn with broken engine. Is it worth the effort, V4 still the ugly duckly of the brand?


Here a pic of mine inthe 90th, later version with 18" front wheel



Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: Bryanj on December 15, 2017, 07:46:37 AM
There were two versions, both nasty but one nastier than the other (engines that is)
Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: Sgt.Pinback on December 15, 2017, 07:57:50 AM
The early one, with 16" front wheel, the Interceptor, had pitting problems with the cams.

I think that was sorted with the later, 18" version. I had no problems at all and bike hat 70 tkm when I sold her.

The one I can get is the early 16" version and has an engine failure.
Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: Bryanj on December 15, 2017, 08:09:38 AM
I thought there was a difference in cam drive I.E gears or chain?
Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: UK Pete on December 15, 2017, 08:20:29 AM
I thought there was a difference in cam drive I.E gears or chain?
Wow it is ugly  , but might be worth getting just to make a bit of money perhaps break it for spares
Damn that's ugly🤣🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: Sgt.Pinback on December 15, 2017, 08:51:24 AM
Yes....

Maybe the early version was slightly less ugly. :-\

Thats the color scheme I would get.
(Sorry, no pics from the bike, is somewhere in a barn the Black Forrest.)

Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: Rozabikes Tim on December 15, 2017, 09:12:55 AM
Yes....

Maybe the early version was slightly less ugly. :-\

Thats the color scheme I would get.
(Sorry, no pics from the bike, is somewhere in a barn the Black Forrest.)

Really like the early one. Spencer and Merkel US superbike. Transatlantic series too.

Shame about the cam issues as did for a good bike. However maybe we never would have had the over engineered VFR if not...
Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: Tomb on December 15, 2017, 07:27:07 PM
I serviced a mates, it had the chocolate cams, pitted to hell, he sold it very soon after I pointed out the pitting to him.
Title: Re: HONDA V4 ... the bottom end?
Post by: UK Pete on December 21, 2017, 05:13:41 PM
I serviced a mates, it had the chocolate cams, pitted to hell, he sold it very soon after I pointed out the pitting to him.
They had a terrible reputation here in England

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk