Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Deano400 on September 03, 2018, 08:53:19 PM

Title: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Deano400 on September 03, 2018, 08:53:19 PM
Hi, can anyone advise on the following before I break something.
Would like to get the butterfly shaft out so I can overhaul all the parts. The shaft rotates freely but has little lateral movement. I am assuming that it is held in by a pin (see pic).
Is this something I have to drill out to remove the shaft? Any advise appreciated.
Title: Re: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 03, 2018, 09:08:42 PM
There may be a woodruff key in there, some have them, some don't. Whatever is holding it would most certainly not need drilling out.
Edit, you learn something every day....Graham says if it's a pin, you may have to drill it out.😊😊
Graham says try tapping it on the other side to see if it pops up a bit enough to grab hold of it with plyers or drill a very small hole in the pin, insert a small self taping screw and pull.
Title: Re: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Deano400 on September 03, 2018, 09:17:09 PM
Thanks Julie, will give it a try.
Title: Re: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Laverda Dave on September 03, 2018, 11:04:27 PM
I had the same problem when I overhauled my carbs. It was a pin and I had to drill it out. When it came to reassembly I used a suitably cut down 3mm grub screw and tapped the hole to suit. I applied a bit of thread lock to the grub screw to be on the safe side.
Title: Re: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Deano400 on September 04, 2018, 07:56:25 AM
Thanks Laverda120, looks like I'll be drilling one way or another.
Title: Re: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 04, 2018, 08:59:33 AM
I was doing some thinking in the middle of the night, as you do :'( ,about these carbs. I knew i hadn't had to drill anything out to get the bar out when i dismantled mine, so had a look back at the photos. Mine also has the pin but the bar came out after removing the woodruff keys and no drilling was necessary, this is why i initially said no drilling was needed. I can only assume the pin on mine was not long enough to do its job , although it looks like the correct pin and looks like it's all the way home.

[attachimg=1]



Title: Re: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Deano400 on September 04, 2018, 09:45:56 AM
Thanks Julie. Definitely looks untouched. I wonder if in the past the shaft has been hammered out shearing the pin? Mine seems quite solid so I think it'll be a risk hammering. Still looks like the drill for me.
Title: Re: Carburetor Overhaul
Post by: Nurse Julie on September 04, 2018, 09:52:49 AM
It may have been John. I remember giving it a little tap when I rebuilt the carbs but it didn't go in any further. There is no movement on my bar so I didn't bother investigating it further.