Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Jez1970 on February 26, 2008, 06:21:42 PM

Title: Newbie confusion
Post by: Jez1970 on February 26, 2008, 06:21:42 PM
Hi, I have acquired a 1975 CB750.  It was just going to be something to tinker with as it had been in a garage for years.  Having started it and found the frame and engine is ok I would like to get it back on the road and am trying to source a few bits from the sites mentioned elsewhere on this site.  My confusion is caused by the bike seeming to be made up of K2 and K6 parts.
The switches on my bike look K6 but the frame number makes the bike a K2 according to the lists on the site.  The frame number on the bike is pretty battered and of the legible numbers they match the V5.
The trouble is basically that the lighting switch is a bit dodgy and I have been trying to source a new one.  Mine has light controls on the right and a built in headlight control on the left (with indicators).  The K2's seem to have a separate unit for the headlamp dip switch, hence the confusion.
I may end up sticking with what I have - does anyone know a way of renovating the switches from a very sun faded colour?

Sorry for the ramble,
Jez
Title: Re: Newbie confusion
Post by: JonnyB on February 26, 2008, 06:36:24 PM
Not wanting to add to your confusion, and not having owned a K of any kind, that sounds like my F1 ('76) and F2 ('78) the swith on the right, is Off/park/main and the switch on the left is dip/main and the horn is also horn/pass.

As to faded colour, they all seem to go that way, mine are a faded browny/red
Title: Re: Newbie confusion
Post by: mick on February 26, 2008, 08:17:08 PM
Hi Jez ,can you post some photos ? some times it helps  ;)  cheers mick.
Title: Re: Newbie confusion
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 26, 2008, 10:18:27 PM
There are a few guys in the USA who have had success with getting their switches powder coated in black and then repainting the red lettering. I had a 550K3 that had been restored in this way. It looked fantastic but the amount of work involved should not be underestimated as the switches must all be stripped down (to the last little tiny spring) and then re-assembled again at the end.

My 500 switchgear has "the patina of age". I prefer it that way.
Title: Re: Newbie confusion
Post by: Spitfire on February 27, 2008, 10:25:36 AM
Hi Jez, as Jonny says they sound like the same switches on the F1/F2, these are the switches from my 76 F1, I cheated and repainted them using my modellers airbrush, should have used orange instead of red though !

Cheers

Den

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/Handlebarswitchrightafterbig.jpg)

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/Handlebarswitchleftafterbig.jpg)
Title: Re: Newbie confusion
Post by: clive on February 27, 2008, 10:40:01 AM
not bad, might try that on my cb500/4
Title: Re: Newbie confusion
Post by: Jez1970 on February 27, 2008, 04:30:08 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, some good advice.  The switches are as per the photos from Den.
I can't post pictures of the bike as it is in bits - wish I taken some before starting!!
I was thinking of getting a new loom for the project but it seems with the bitzer nature of the bike it might be a waste of money!  I thought it was a K2 with some K6 bits but now I know it has some F1 style switches.  Ah well, more stuff to look at on EBay.

Cheers,
Jez
Title: Re: Newbie confusion
Post by: Spitfire on February 29, 2008, 03:33:04 PM
Hi Jez,
          I bought some spare switches from eBay, they were the same as mine but from a 550.

Cheers

Den