Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Kevin T on November 25, 2018, 05:41:22 PM

Title: No 6th Gear
Post by: Kevin T on November 25, 2018, 05:41:22 PM
Hi,
Finally got my CB400F rebuilt and out on a few road tests to see how it is. There are only 5 gears. 1 down & 4 up. No 6th Gear? Has anyone else experienced this and have any advice.
Thanks
Regards
Kevin
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 25, 2018, 06:16:39 PM
Hi Kevin. Are all the selector drum dowels in place ?
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: mike the bike on November 25, 2018, 07:26:49 PM
It looks like you'll have to whip the clutch off and check the selector mechanism.
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: Athame57 on November 28, 2018, 02:29:23 PM
Has anyone else experienced this and have any advice.
Yes...I just got a bad feeling and went to see...no sixth, at least not cold at  a stand still not that anything will change when I start again....oh gawsh.  :(
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: Athame57 on November 28, 2018, 02:37:53 PM
Hi Kevin. Are all the selector drum dowels in place ?
Finding myself also with no 6th gear...if this is the issue is it going to be expensive? I don't have the facilities to try doing it myself, not that I'd know how.
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 28, 2018, 03:02:57 PM
The easiest thing to check and costs nowt, is to make sure the gear change lever is in the correct position on the shaft. If it's set too high, the lever may be fouling on the casing when lifting the lever to go up to 6th.
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: Athame57 on November 28, 2018, 06:14:32 PM
The easiest thing to check and costs nowt, is to make sure the gear change lever is in the correct position on the shaft. If it's set too high, the lever may be fouling on the casing when lifting the lever to go up to 6th.
I hope so Julie, I cured the absent 1st gear like that, maybe overzealously, I'll have to wait for daylight now...gives me time to pray as well lol!
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: Nurse Julie on November 28, 2018, 08:06:12 PM
The easiest thing to check and costs nowt, is to make sure the gear change lever is in the correct position on the shaft. If it's set too high, the lever may be fouling on the casing when lifting the lever to go up to 6th.
I hope so Julie, I cured the absent 1st gear like that, maybe overzealously, I'll have to wait for daylight now...gives me time to pray as well lol!
All you need to do George is make sure the minute 'dot' punched on the end face of the shaft, matches up with the 'dot' punched on the collar of the lever. As long as the dots align, the lever is in the correct position .
Like so


[attachimg=1]
Nice bit of rust there, this bike is filthy and needs a really good getting at  :-\
Title: Re: No 6th Gear
Post by: Athame57 on November 29, 2018, 01:31:08 AM
 :D