Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Tricks & Tips => Topic started by: pae on May 03, 2008, 04:10:02 PM

Title: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: pae on May 03, 2008, 04:10:02 PM
Any recommendations for where to get calipers overhauled?

Particularly interested in the painting - I might try it myself but would probably make a mess of it with pasint in the threads and bores etc., so does anyone know someone who KNOWS what they are doing and can repaint the calipers? If it's not too expensive I might as well put the job out.

Or is it straightforward enough? And if it is, what's the best paint to use?

Oh, and where's the best place for new seals etc? DSS?

regards, Phil
Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: Bryanj on May 04, 2008, 02:14:29 PM
Seal from any Honda dealer as they are only 2-3 pound so DSS discount dont cover postage, if you need a piston as well then go DSS cos he is cheaper
Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 04, 2008, 10:00:44 PM
If you're looking for a piston you could try one of the phenolic ones that are sold on eBay by one of the guys on www.sohc4.net He turns down automotive pistons.

Powdercoat is the way to go for the caliper but you'll have to mask it off properly...
Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: Spitfire on May 05, 2008, 01:12:01 PM
Hi Phil,
         Did mine myself, used some caliper and brake caliper, drum and rotor VHT paint from US Automotive, it seems to be fine on the calipers but has peeled on the master cylinder, probably due to me being ham fisted when filling up. the caliper has to be perfectly clean inside and out, all oxide removed. On the exterior I used my Dremel with a little abrasive brush, the inside was not too bad except the seal area which must be really clean for the seal to sit in. The threads I protected by inserting old bolts which was handy for hanging the caliper up while I sprayed it, the mating surfaces were masked off, I did this using masking tape put on over sized, then used a Stanley knife to cut around the caliper shape.

Cheers

Den

Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: Spitfire on May 05, 2008, 01:16:02 PM
Some pics.

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/Caliperpaint.jpg)

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/brakepartsfrontsmall.jpg)

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/brakepartsrearSmall.jpg)
Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: pae on May 05, 2008, 05:36:34 PM
Thanks Den, looks good.

Pistons are fine, it's just new seals that I need.

Phil
Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: mat4 on May 08, 2008, 08:11:23 PM
Stainless pistons is the only way to go, I bought a pair on line from WEMOTO and they came with all seals. Good luck.
Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: Johnwebley on September 11, 2013, 12:21:40 AM
I am overhauling a caliper,clean and new seal.

it is important to clean the seal groove ,

I used a broken piston ring,sharp edges,right size,the groove was cleaned easily,

Title: Re: brake caliper overhaul
Post by: UK Pete on September 11, 2013, 06:51:58 AM
Great tip john
pete