Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: paulbaker1954 on April 23, 2019, 02:15:27 PM

Title: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: paulbaker1954 on April 23, 2019, 02:15:27 PM
Every time I take the tank off the fuel pipes on the petcock see to have nearly glued themselves to the petcock tubes and its always one hell of a job getting them off again.

I have tried Vaseline on the tubes but that didn't seem to help.

Just put them back on with a spray of silicone sealant and they slide on a treat but I know when I come to take them off again they will be "welded" on again

Any prior experience/tips most welcome !!
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 23, 2019, 02:30:16 PM
What type of rubber pipes are you using Paul and what pipe clips?
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: paulbaker1954 on April 23, 2019, 02:41:56 PM
What type of rubber pipes are you using Paul and what pipe clips?

I am using spring clips which I don't think are the issue, the pipe is I am not sure they are black rubber like (fuel resistant of course).

I dont really want to change the hoses right now as I don't think I can do it without puling the carbs.

Maybe another easier solution would be a couple of new short lengths from the petcock with a "joiner" fitting of some sort
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Johnwebley on April 23, 2019, 02:53:20 PM
I alway had that issue. But since renewing with nitrile smooth fuel tubing it is easier.

Suggest you try some shorter links.

Without the need to remove the carbs

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 23, 2019, 03:20:18 PM
Get some nitrile fuel pipe from Silicone Planet and for now, put straight pipe joiners in line to join the new to the old, save you taking carbs off.
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: paulbaker1954 on April 23, 2019, 03:46:14 PM
Get some nitrile fuel pipe from Silicone Planet and for now, put straight pipe joiners in line to join the new to the old, save you taking carbs off.

My plan exactly are the pipes 5.5 mm ID do you know
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 23, 2019, 03:53:31 PM
Get some nitrile fuel pipe from Silicone Planet and for now, put straight pipe joiners in line to join the new to the old, save you taking carbs off.

My plan exactly are the pipes 5.5 mm ID do you know
5.4 ID Paul

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 23, 2019, 03:55:37 PM
And in real life, its round, not flat like their pic shows, strange angle photo  ::)
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: paulbaker1954 on April 23, 2019, 03:57:34 PM
Thx Julie
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: JamesH on April 23, 2019, 05:42:26 PM
Paul - also use a pair o long nose pliers when removing, and try and twist the pipes first before pulling vertically down. With my long nose I use the bottom of the fuel tap bowl as a lever to pull down vertically (stick piece of cardboard between the pliers body and the bottom of the bowl to avoid any damage). Always works for me even with stubborn pipes. But as Julie and others have said, new nitrile rubber hoses are less prone to sticking.
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Erny on April 23, 2019, 11:59:16 PM
Get some nitrile fuel pipe from Silicone Planet and for now, put straight pipe joiners in line to join the new to the old, save you taking carbs off.

My plan exactly are the pipes 5.5 mm ID do you know
5.4 ID Paul

(Attachment Link)

Julie, can you pls post link to that ebay seller? I cannot find it... thanks
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 24, 2019, 09:24:57 AM
Get some nitrile fuel pipe from Silicone Planet and for now, put straight pipe joiners in line to join the new to the old, save you taking carbs off.

My plan exactly are the pipes 5.5 mm ID do you know
5.4 ID Paul

(Attachment Link)

Julie, can you pls post link to that ebay seller? I cannot find it... thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/planetsilicone
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: Johnwebley on April 24, 2019, 09:40:25 AM
To make links piece go to model shop and get 5mm dia brass tube
Just smooth the cut edges so the don't cause more problems

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: paulbaker1954 on April 24, 2019, 11:25:26 AM
Get some nitrile fuel pipe from Silicone Planet and for now, put straight pipe joiners in line to join the new to the old, save you taking carbs off.

My plan exactly are the pipes 5.5 mm ID do you know
5.4 ID Paul

Thx Julie
ordered up some pipe, 90 deg connectors (have a feeling these may work better than straight) and springy hose clips

(Attachment Link)

Julie, can you pls post link to that ebay seller? I cannot find it... thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/planetsilicone
Title: Re: Tank removal - it's now p****** me off
Post by: florence on April 25, 2019, 10:50:19 AM
also, when I fit new pipes I put a centimetre or two extra in the length so that if I have trouble removing in the future I can cut it off at the tap end and still have enough.