Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: ricardo on May 04, 2019, 08:27:20 AM

Title: fuel cap.
Post by: ricardo on May 04, 2019, 08:27:20 AM
I have just had my fuel cap re chromed. Looks great and I have the rivets to reattach it. Is a special tool required? The original was replaced by a bolt which looked shoddy. The rivet / pin was ordered from Silver and seems to just need a light punch on the end.
Any advice how to proceed please.
Ricardo
Title: Re: fuel cap.
Post by: Trigger on May 04, 2019, 08:55:59 AM
Towel on the tank, get some to hold a hammer against the domed side and centre punch the other end. Be careful not to slip  ;)
Title: Re: fuel cap.
Post by: ricardo on May 04, 2019, 09:28:41 AM
That was kind of what I was thinking. Great I'll give it a go

Thanks
Ricardo
Title: Re: fuel cap.
Post by: sye on May 04, 2019, 09:34:30 AM
Would a chain riveting tool work?
Title: Re: fuel cap.
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 04, 2019, 06:29:36 PM
Not too difficult to make a tool using simple hand tools and a bit of effort,
This is the one I made years ago from a block of scrap and a bolt.
[attach=1]
  The thread is offset so you can get close but still has enough ‘beef’ to spread the end of the rivet.  I use the same tool with a different bolt with a small diameter at the end to remove them.  Still put the towel on the tank though!

Ian