Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: ace cafe racer on September 27, 2019, 06:15:49 PM
-
finally got to the end of painting the new side panel, just a bit of compounding to do. finally got the new V5c now registered as Historic vehicle. Cant decide whether the number plate I made looks OK or not, it is to spec.
-
The plate and the side panel look great Mick 👍👍👍
-
They both look great, nice job
Cheers
Dennis
-
very nice but is a black plate legal, thought after 73 should be yellow
-
very nice but is a black plate legal, thought after 73 should be yellow
As long as its registered as Historic Mick, it can have black / white. It also rolls over yearly along with the Historic entitlement. So now, my 78 reg bike can have black / white as registered as historic...but i haven't bothered, I'm still wearing yellow, I think a T reg bike with black / white plates just looks stooopid.
-
Per Julie, I understand it’s now a rolling date.
Also, nobody seems to give a monkeys nowadays anyway…
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
Per Julie, I understand it’s now a rolling date.
Also, nobody seems to give a monkeys nowadays anyway…
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree Steve. I see plenty of brand new bikes with black / white plates fitted.
-
Did I read on a previous post that after a certain date, the plate numbers had to be in a set format/plate size over 2 lines - sure it was on a DVLA link someone posted - I'd prefer to be wrong on this as the plate format over 3 lines on this post would suit my CR and the K6 cafe racer in on with now
Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
-
Did I read on a previous post that after a certain date, the plate numbers had to be in a set format/plate size over 2 lines - sure it was on a DVLA link someone posted - I'd prefer to be wrong on this as the plate format over 3 lines on this post would suit my CR and the K6 cafe racer in on with now
Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
You can have 3 lines Phil
[attachimg=1]
-
And the font to use is called Charles Wright if making your own
-
Did I read on a previous post that after a certain date, the plate numbers had to be in a set format/plate size over 2 lines - sure it was on a DVLA link someone posted - I'd prefer to be wrong on this as the plate format over 3 lines on this post would suit my CR and the K6 cafe racer in on with now
Does the last line on the guidance not mean you can't have 3 lines after 1st January 1973 - 'must be set on two lines'?
Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
You can have 3 lines Phil
(Attachment Link)
-
Not sure I posted correctly last post so
- Does the last line on the guidance not mean you can't have 3 lines after 1st January 1973 - 'must be set on two lines'?
-
Just re-read first part - so get it now - senior moment!
So is there a kit to make the 3 line plate?
-
It's typical DVLA confusion Phil. It says 'Vehicles' in the first part of that page and then down the bottom says motorcycles and tricycles 🤔🤔🤔 I'm going by the first bit which relates to the 73/78 bit, implying that as ling as its registered Historic, its OK. The last bit about bikes etc, is not saying the same as what's at the top of the paragraph. Once again though, I see new bikes with black and white, on 3 lines.
-
Just re-read first part - so get it now - senior moment!
So is there a kit to make the 3 line plate?
I just got some suitable metal painted it black cut the numbers in white vinyl on my vinyl plotter, stuck them on and clear varnished over. I would gladly cut the nos for you if you wish.in return for all the help given on this forum.
-
Thanks for that offer - will get in touch when I'm at that stage - much appreciated
-
Just for information The Rules Governing Motorcycle Plates
To begin with, all single row motorcycle plates are illegal. The government makes this very clear by pronouncing that, “Characters on Number plates must be set out over two lines and must be displayed on all motorcycles registered on or after 1 January 1973.â€Bikes that were registered before the 1st of September 2001, can display a three-row number plate. But this doesn’t suit most bikes and therefore is not a popular option for most bile owners.
All other bikes have to follow a very strict 2-row rule for motorcycle plates. It is also mandatory for this plates to be displayed on the rear if the bike. If your bike was registered before 1st September 2001, you may also be able to place a number plate on the front as well. These rules apply to tri-cycles as well.
This particular date of 1st September, 2001 is important because it also marks the date that small changes to the rules governing motorcycle plates were also announced. These small changes affect the character sizes and the overall size of the plate. They basically tell you how big or how small your number plate can be
-
But, you can still have a single line front number plate fitted of the kidney splitter type, if you wish.
-
Is that some sort of medical talk Julie!
-
Is that some sort of medical talk Julie!
🤣🤣🤣Could be Phil. Those metal number plates on the front mudguards did split kidneys and other parts of the anatomy....hence why they made them optional and not mandatory.
-
But at the same time they made them optional on tractors as well, or was that because the average farmer dont give a stuff anyway?
-
finally got to the end of painting the new side panel, just a bit of compounding to do. finally got the new V5c now registered as Historic vehicle. Cant decide whether the number plate I made looks OK or not, it is to spec.
If I were some pedantic cop I would say its not to spec. No 11mm border on the bottom for one thing. That could be £1000 please. ;)
-
Current Motorcycle MOT testers Manual. I think it depends if you are going by the C&U regs or the MOT regs.....I always go by MOT regs as no one, including Mr Plod understands or knows the C&U regs
[attachimg=1]
-
The relevant part of the MOT regs.....for anyone that may be interested
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-motorcycles/0-identification-of-the-vehicle
-
And
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/schedule/3/made
complicated or what?
-
And
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/561/schedule/3/made
complicated or what?
Yes, very complicated. Around Lincolnshire, the police really don't care what format / colour plate you display, or if it's on the side.....except if it's too small. Any biker with a plate the size of a fag packet gets pulled and fined. Other than that, Mr Plod really isn't interested and I think it's all about the size due to being read by ANPR. The format is of no interest as long as it can be read. There are so many current regs from different government depts relating to bikes of all ages and they all contradict each other. So, going by the current regs......if a bike is registered as Historic it can have a black / white plate and if the bike is 1st used prior to September 2001, the reg number can be over 3 lines.