Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: sticks on March 01, 2009, 05:00:50 PM

Title: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: sticks on March 01, 2009, 05:00:50 PM
Hi can anybody recomend the correct grade of oil to put in my 1976 honda cb750 k6,is it best to put 10/40 in her or 20/50 a friend of mine has always put 20/50 in his with no probs,also mineral or semi synthetic.
thanks
Dave.
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: Dave M on March 01, 2009, 05:47:07 PM
I've always used 10/40. It's the specified oil and I've never had any probs.
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: Bryanj on March 02, 2009, 03:26:23 AM
10w40 and NOT synthetic
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on March 02, 2009, 06:51:39 AM
Agreed. A good 10W/40 mineral oil.

I use Rock Oil but there are others out there.
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: JonnyB on March 02, 2009, 09:23:53 AM
I use the Halfords 10w40 in the green bottle
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: BigAl (Alan) on March 02, 2009, 09:41:04 AM
Classic Motorcycle mechanics did an article in February-normal 10W-40 changed as the bike service spec is fine

Alan
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: matthewmosse on March 02, 2009, 11:15:38 AM
I use 10/40w, have used various brands over the years as local stockists have discontinued with some brands. Only one to avoid was comma semi syn stuff in yellow can, cheap but caused cluch slip and poor gear changes in 2 engines of mine. I've switched to Morris brand as it's half the price of silkolene and I'd rather do changes often than buy very pricy stuff and dump it after a mere 1500 - 2000 miles. Several years commuting use, no problems, nothings needed any attention other than checking tappets so no wear going on.
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: Vince P on March 02, 2009, 12:21:22 PM
I was going to say just this. Use a good grade of 10/40 but, not synthetic as the oil does go to the clutch and will cause slippage. I've used Castrol on most of my bikes over the years. If your like me who keeps your oil changes regular, then really any good grade would suffice.
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: sticks on March 08, 2009, 03:24:34 PM
Thanks for the info guys,
Title: Re: OIL FOR CB750
Post by: Greebo on June 29, 2015, 03:51:36 PM
I use Motul 5100 10w40 semi synth' or Silcolene 10w40 semi synth engine oil;. with no issues..
I was also going to try Motul 5100 15w50 semi..Only because I have got some in the garage . ;D

As anyone tried 15w50 semi' ?