Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: blackeagles on January 05, 2020, 01:41:51 PM

Title: keihin pd41b
Post by: blackeagles on January 05, 2020, 01:41:51 PM
Anyone taken these apart?

 Its not fair to say that I have to do this but as its now got a sticking float im toying with the idea of taking the whole thing off yet again and replacing (with second hand)  the throttle link bit – the plate where the cable nipple fits into and opens the throttle – as half of one of the tangs is missing and maybe replace the choke cam as well since it seems a bit worn.

Watching a demo on the internet it seems rather complicated for me, especially as I have never worked on one of these before other than to take the float bowls off!!
Title: Re: keihin pd41b
Post by: Erny on January 05, 2020, 01:56:03 PM
Well, I plan to do the same and did before.. Good luck!
Title: Re: keihin pd41b
Post by: Bryanj on January 05, 2020, 11:34:09 PM
PD carbs are horrible, fiddly and a damn nusance. Dont know anybody who likes doing them.
Title: Re: keihin pd41b
Post by: royhall on January 06, 2020, 07:41:55 AM
I had two goes at mine and just could not get the bike to run properly. In the end I sent them to Matt Harper in Cheshire to rebuild them correctly. The bike has been spot on since. Don't mind doing carbs but these PD things are a pain. For instance, there are air vents on the sides of the carbs that nowhere I have seen even mentions, but if these get blocked (which they do) the bike runs like shite. I'm not his agent but here's his email. Well worth the cost.
   
sales@harpers-ultrasonic.com
Title: Re: keihin pd41b
Post by: blackeagles on January 08, 2020, 10:42:52 AM
ok, I think its "don't do it unless you have to" as the message.  thanks for the email, matt is a great guy to talk to and very helpful.
Title: Re: keihin pd41b
Post by: kthree on January 08, 2020, 09:03:04 PM
I've had a go at this recently and didn't find it too daunting. I bought all new seals and gaskets from Mike Nixon @ motorcycle project and a small ultrasonic cleaner from a local car parts store. I only used genuine honda parts ( float needle valve and seats) most other parts can simply be cleaned, as they don't actually wear out. I kept all parts in a compartment box so each item went back to the same carb, used JIS screwdrivers only, and took a slow, methodical approach.

Yes, there is a small vent hole on the side of the carb bodies which I found while throttle cleaner fluid and running compressed air through all vents and jet openings - you ensure it's clear this way. Carbs are now clean and ready to go. BUT, I've yet to fit them and see if or how they run!

Fingers crossed!