Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: bikerburke on March 24, 2009, 11:35:04 PM
-
hi all,this is my first post since joining so i hope i get it right.as i said when i joined i am building a cafe racer based on a 500/4 1973 model.I have include a few shots of before and how far I've got so far.I did say i was trying to build it on a budget but that went out the window when I started spending at DS SPARES .good old EBAY supplied the tank ,fairing and a seat for
-
750 has bigger discs, if you want to use the 500 size get the 550 lowers but all will fit on the legs.
Original relay was 3 pin but the Yanks use a 2 pin and yes all bulbs have to be correct size, working and eathed properly---usualy needs the engine running to charge battery to get a regular flash rate as well
-
Looks good Mick.
Did you do any engine work?
Where are you?
-
looking good there. I'm inpressed. Re, dual disking it, I'll check in my spares to verify this, but I think the cb550 forks are marginally longer, one ir 2 inches, you do sometimes come accross cb500 forks with the lugs for twin disking on, I got a set off ebay a year or 2 back but they don't come up often, I've heard mixed reports on the effectiveness of dual disking, quite a few recon it's not really cost effective, I've only done a few miles on a 550 with it done but couldn't spot the difference in braking efficiency, the single disk will if working right lock the front wheel even with a sidecar on the bike, futher upgrades mostly mean swapping the whole front end for more modern kit like the cb400N superdream which slots streight in using all standard bearings etc.
-
thanks for your help/info guys.new indicators on the way and a caliper unit and disc also on the way.re forks ive remeasured all dimensions again on the 750 forks (perhaps there not 750) and they match exactly to the ones i have on already as i said the only difference is in the stanchions and damper so it may be a case of fit and try.ive incuded a couple of pics of the 750? and my own forks.I have a a couple of other issues i could have advice on should i start a new topic for each one. PS steved cb500 i live near wrexham .north wales