Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Oggers on April 06, 2020, 07:58:05 PM

Title: Horn
Post by: Oggers on April 06, 2020, 07:58:05 PM
Quick Q. Battery is down a bit - to @11V . Is this enough to get a sound from the horn?
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Bryanj on April 06, 2020, 08:39:19 PM
A very weak hum yes a parp no
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: ka-ja on April 07, 2020, 09:38:49 AM
Or a strangled duck noise.
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 07, 2020, 09:42:02 AM
Or even just a strangled 'click' sort of noise.
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Oggers on April 07, 2020, 10:39:41 AM
Yes, I'm getting the strangled click! Very faint, but something does happen when I press the button. Continuity in the horn and when the switch is depressed is present, and yes, I have fiddled with the small screw at the back a little to see if that was the fault. Put back to original position. No big deal, just testing things after the wiring nightmare......
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: bobv7 on April 07, 2020, 11:06:38 AM
Does your engine stop when you run out of petrol? Same applies to your horn. ::) No leccy, no parpy. :o
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: ka-ja on April 07, 2020, 04:08:15 PM
As long as the engine does not stop when the horn button is pressed ;)
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: bobv7 on April 07, 2020, 05:12:19 PM
Connect the horn directly to a FULLY charged battery. Does that work? If not give the horn interior a blast with switch cleaner and if it still doesn't work then buy a new horn.

If it does then check the continuity from the battery to the horn button and from the horn button to the horn connection leads.
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 07, 2020, 09:25:00 PM
Horn fix here:-

http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,13195.0.html
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Athame57 on April 07, 2020, 11:08:44 PM
Actually it's time I got  a new one too. I've got this aftermarket thing that looks like a snail and I could fa*t louder!
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Trigger on April 08, 2020, 06:36:53 AM
Yes, I'm getting the strangled click! Very faint, but something does happen when I press the button. Continuity in the horn and when the switch is depressed is present, and yes, I have fiddled with the small screw at the back a little to see if that was the fault. Put back to original position. No big deal, just testing things after the wiring nightmare......

If the big nut on the back has been moved, it needs retuning  ;)
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Oggers on April 08, 2020, 07:52:42 AM
Trigger - the big nut on the back has definitely moved as I took the horn off its brackett! i did wonder if it has an effect. Do you retune with this nut or the small screw? - or both?
Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Oggers on April 08, 2020, 08:46:40 PM
Appreciate a test would be to connect to a fully charged battery. I have no spare - so would crocodile clips to the car battery suffice? Obviously a car battery carries a greater punch -  just afraid of damaging things

Title: Re: Horn
Post by: hairygit on April 08, 2020, 09:05:44 PM
Car battery won't hurt it, 12voltsis 12volts, bike or car battery. (Provided it's a 12volt bike)

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: Horn
Post by: Trigger on April 09, 2020, 09:56:43 AM
Trigger - the big nut on the back has definitely moved as I took the horn off its brackett! i did wonder if it has an effect. Do you retune with this nut or the small screw? - or both?

If you put the small screw back to factory set. Then start tuning the big adjuster on the back, one you have the connection start on the small screw. Hard to explain this  ;)