Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: keithtraffic on April 12, 2020, 08:11:14 PM

Title: problems removing air cleaner case
Post by: keithtraffic on April 12, 2020, 08:11:14 PM
So, turned on the petrol tap on my 550 for the first time in a few months and quickly realised that petrol was dripping all over the ground. At first I thought it was possibly a stuck float or similar but ultimately located the source of the leak as being the seal between the bowl and the main body of the two centre carbs.

These have been a problem for a while, with a general seepage of petrol from them, so resolved to remove the carbs, give them a clean and renew all the seals.

Following the instruction, I have removed the air filter and the three retaining bolts as specified in the workshop manual, but can't actually get the air cleaner case out - it seems to be attached to the chamber which feed the four carbs.

Is there a special trick to separating these two parts or actually are the instructions misleading such that the air cleaner does not need to be removed to allow the carbs to be removed?

Any help welcome!
Title: Re: problems removing air cleaner case
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 12, 2020, 08:37:37 PM
Is this on a 550 K3?
Title: Re: problems removing air cleaner case
Post by: keithtraffic on April 12, 2020, 10:38:22 PM
Yes K3 - first registered in 1979.
Title: Re: problems removing air cleaner case
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 12, 2020, 10:44:20 PM
Have you removed both the bolt inside the filter box and the other one from outside at the bottom?
Title: Re: problems removing air cleaner case
Post by: SPR on April 13, 2020, 08:36:18 AM
I've just done mine without removing the air box and I'm a basic mechanic to put it mildly

I pushed the rear rubbers into the air box which gave enough room to wiggle the carbs free ... if you do it this way remove the clips from the rear rubbers when you get the gap after pushing them back - it will save damaging them.

Refitting I found it easier to remove the rear rubbers completely from the box before fitting the carb bank - then fitting them ... if you do this I found that the rubbers fit slightly differently when you twist them (especially the outer ones)

Cheers

Simon
Title: Re: problems removing air cleaner case
Post by: keithtraffic on April 13, 2020, 08:47:58 AM
Yes, I have removed the two bolts at the top and the one at the bottom, so there are no bolts (that I can see) holding it in place. Bit it does still seem very firmly attached to the chamber in front of it. Does it just need force to remove it or is there still a clip or something that has to be released?