Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: oldtuggie on April 21, 2020, 07:13:59 PM

Title: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: oldtuggie on April 21, 2020, 07:13:59 PM
Hi
Has anyone sourced the large primary shaft bearing from a UK supplier.
I can get one from CMSNL but it's expensive on the postage .
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: Bryanj on April 21, 2020, 07:16:33 PM
What bike
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: oldtuggie on April 21, 2020, 08:36:11 PM
CB 550 four f2  American import. 1976
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: Bryanj on April 21, 2020, 08:57:27 PM
There are a couple of differnt part numbers for those.
One end is 6205 bearing the other sometimes is a standard bearing, is there a number on yours?
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: oldtuggie on April 21, 2020, 09:18:32 PM
When I bought the bike as a project I got a brand new FAG bearing but the inside diameter is to small and it won't go onto the shaft. The parts list shows it as a 63 x 22 size
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 21, 2020, 09:38:25 PM
I fitted a Koyo one last week and it went on the primary shaft OK . You need a high speed version C3.

Bought mine years ago but this looks the same

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1130582653?iid=123504184610&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=123504184610&targetid=879157198036&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9050383&poi=&campaignid=9437867024&mkgroupid=104303480548&rlsatarget=aud-629407025025:pla-879157198036&abcId=1140486&merchantid=109947210&gclid=Cj0KCQjws_r0BRCwARIsAMxfDRgUnZHrii8cFZ9GvVzXERgPe0BxtpUrwGWUGZlrny3jnKn0cTfiQgsaAiLQEALw_wcB
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 22, 2020, 02:31:58 PM
Hendersons do the same, I buy all my bearings from them, great service.
https://www.hendersonbearings.co.uk/63-22c3-ball-bearing-premium-brand-koyo-22x56x16mm.html

They also list a C4 version, no idea what the difference is between a C4 and a C3, must be one though.
C stands for Clearance Ken, ie, how loose it is.
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: Nurse Julie on April 22, 2020, 02:34:12 PM
And if you want the real tech explanation (copied from interweb 😊😊😊😊)

C3, C4 and C5 bearings are bearings that have an additional internal radial clearance to cope with high speed environments where excess heat is generated. ... C4 and C5 are even looser still than C3 clearance bearings. This is the characteristic of these higher than normal clearance bearings marked C3, C4 and C5.
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 22, 2020, 02:44:46 PM
The b*stard of a bearing to find is the ---283--- (CB450 Bonber part) output drive  bearing.
Took me ages to find one NOS
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: oldtuggie on April 22, 2020, 03:13:07 PM
Thanks guys great advice I've ordered the Koyo
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: oldtuggie on April 24, 2020, 01:25:52 PM
Further on this topic can anyone whos fitted this bearing tell me if you have to use heat and sweat it onto the shaft
Title: Re: Primary shaft bearing
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 24, 2020, 03:29:09 PM
I didn't. I just put the bearing against a vice head with space to allow the shaft through and whilst protecting the end of the shaft I just hit it until the bearing came loose. As soon as it moves it tends to just fall off the shaft. Same in reverse.

+1 Ken ..I just used two pieces of tube and pressed old one out in vise to get it started.