Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 08:50:11 AM

Title: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 08:50:11 AM
Morning

1978 CB550K

So decided to check adjust the tappets but wanted to double check I've understood the info before I start

Been watching this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4QcrLbpmqk&list=FLftoUhSxu95e2Wa0_Q1jpnA&index=38&t=0s

So set the timing to 1.4 - see pic below ... have I got this correct ... is the T in the right place or does the mark left of the T need to be in the middle of the mark above it ?

Depending on where in the revolution I am I've got either #1 or #4 tappets loose - both exhaust and inlet

Am I good to go :)

Thanks Simon

[attach=1]

Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: Trigger on April 22, 2020, 09:01:18 AM
You can't become a expert in 4 minutes by watching a youtube vid  ;D
Line the T mark to 1-4 and set the appropriate tappets and then rotate the crank 360 to the same T mark 1-4 to do the other 4. Forget about the 2-3 mark  ;)
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 09:06:43 AM
You can't become a expert in 4 minutes by watching a youtube vid  ;D
Line the T mark to 1-4 and set the appropriate tappets and then rotate the crank 360 to the same T mark 1-4 to do the other 4. Forget about the 2-3 mark  ;)

What's confusing me is that the manual seems to say when at 1-4 so certin tappets as below whereas the youtube vid says the opposite .... I'm a bit of a visual learner but like to check everything :)

So are you saying when at 1-4 I do as below ....

Sorry if I'm sounding dim

[attachimg=2]
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: Trigger on April 22, 2020, 09:12:39 AM
At T 1-4 it will be the O or X on the chart. If it is O and you want X turn the crank 360 degrees and at T 1-4 again to set the other 4  ;)

The manual is wrong, On the chart the in let is the exhaust and the exhaust is the inlet
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 09:23:55 AM
At T 1-4 it will be the O or X on the chart. If it is O and you want X turn the crank 360 degrees and at T 1-4 again to set the other 4  ;)

The manual is wrong, On the chart the in let is the exhaust and the exhaust is the inlet

Many thanks !!!
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: Trigger on April 22, 2020, 09:42:21 AM
At T 1-4 it will be the O or X on the chart. If it is O and you want X turn the crank 360 degrees and at T 1-4 again to set the other 4  ;)

The manual is wrong, On the chart the in let is the exhaust and the exhaust is the inlet

Many thanks !!!


Like this >>>

[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 09:48:02 AM
At T 1-4 it will be the O or X on the chart. If it is O and you want X turn the crank 360 degrees and at T 1-4 again to set the other 4  ;)

The manual is wrong, On the chart the in let is the exhaust and the exhaust is the inlet

Many thanks !!!

Brilliant thank you ... all checked and TBH only adjusted 3 slightly

Thanks again

Simon


Like this >>>

(Attachment Link)
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: Bryanj on April 22, 2020, 09:52:31 AM
Its far easier to understand if you ignore that chart and when set on T (which is a bit more clockwise on your pic) look at 1 & 4, one set will be loose the other tight so adjust the loose ones, rotate crank 360 deg (1 turn) and adjust the other set. Same for 2 & 3.

DO NOT turn the crank with a spanner on either the big nut or small nut at the points end
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 09:54:15 AM
Its far easier to understand if you ignore that chart and when set on T (which is a bit more clockwise on your pic) look at 1 & 4, one set will be loose the other tight so adjust the loose ones, rotate crank 360 deg (1 turn) and adjust the other set. Same for 2 & 3.

DO NOT turn the crank with a spanner on either the big nut or small nut at the points end

Many thanks ... hopefully won't have to redo for a little while ...I did think I needed to be a fraction more clockwise
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: bobv7 on April 22, 2020, 10:20:14 AM
Then all you need is a really skinny feeler gauge to get in the holes! I'm still trying to find one.
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: Trigger on April 22, 2020, 11:08:17 AM
Then all you need is a really skinny feeler gauge to get in the holes! I'm still trying to find one.

You just use standard feeler gauges and bend the ends  ;)
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 11:17:37 AM
Then all you need is a really skinny feeler gauge to get in the holes! I'm still trying to find one.

You just use standard feeler gauges and bend the ends  ;)

Thats what I did :)
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: deltarider on April 22, 2020, 11:29:13 AM
When you do it as Bryanj suggests - cylinder for cylinder - (I have made it a habbit since long), bonus is the marks do not have to align so precise as when you do it by Honda's scheme. My advice: forget about that scheme. Too much risk for us amateurs to make an error.
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: SPR on April 22, 2020, 11:36:53 AM
When you do it as Bryanj suggests - cylinder for cylinder - (I have made it a habbit since long), bonus is the marks do not have to align so precise as when you do it by Honda's scheme. My advice: forget about that scheme. Too much risk for us amateurs to make an error.
Noted - thanks :)
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: Safo on April 24, 2020, 02:38:54 PM
Just about to do the same, but I would have gone the the long way round and used 2-3 ,made a note of triggers diagram.
Title: Re: CB550 Tappet Adjustment Question
Post by: AshimotoK0 on April 24, 2020, 03:32:37 PM
You can't become a expert in 4 minutes by watching a youtube vid  ;D

Welcome to Hackaweek  ;D