Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: Sprunghub on May 18, 2009, 11:01:39 PM

Title: New member intro
Post by: Sprunghub on May 18, 2009, 11:01:39 PM
Hello, to all, a new CB750 owner & Forum member.  I've just had an 'evloution' or to be more to the point, revolution in the Garage, with two Hinckley Bonnies & an a 1950's 'lunker' going out & a couple of 1989 Hondas, both 'mint', a VTR250 &  CB-1 coming in to replace them.  Downsizing in cc's, weight & size.  So, to compensate, I've brought in a 1976 (reg'd1978) CB750F.  The VTR's the wifes bike, the CB-1 mine for when I need 'waking up' a bit.

The CB750's only had a couple of owners from new, the first for her first year & the second from 1979 until now.  She's always been looked after - she's been out on loan to nephews & son-in laws of the owner so she's clocked up 32k miles, but they're a family of motorcycle racers & engineers, so she's mechanically pretty sound.  I've just 'un-done' the 1980's 'revision' of fitting CVK carbs, presumably from a Kawasaki as this was,  I gather a 'done thing' ?  She came with her original carbs & they're now fitted & she's running as sweet a a nut.  She's got her original exhaust & silencer too.....pipes are 7/10 for condition, exhaust is 8.5/10.......+ an original Paul Dunstall silencer & a full Motad system, which is currently on the bike, BUT I reckon I'll put her back to 'spec' as soon as I can - including swopping the 'go faster' finned covers which she has all over her.  All the originals - except the round 'inner' generator cover- are with her, thankfully.

She's "brake pads" away from an MOT....she had one done two years ago, but was never ridden after it as the owner at 71, found her too heavy to hold up !!

The only real 'downside' & in some ways it shouldn't be, is that she was given a "proper" Custom paint job back in 1978 - & she's still got it.  She looks like a Tarts Handbag.....but at least she sounds like a sewing machine !

Looking forward to getting to grips with her & hopefully get & keep her "right".  She's too good, in her present condition, paint aesthetics excepted, to do too much to, so I'm aiming to keep the overall patina rather than "do her up".....but need to find a tank & 'tail' ! 
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 19, 2009, 01:11:12 PM
Hi and welcome.

Tell us your real name and where you are!

Do you have photos? The 1970's paint jobs were very much of their time and it would be a shame to destroy them. One of the members here has a Dresda 900 with psychedelic paint - wouldn't change it for the world!

Steve
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: Sprunghub on May 19, 2009, 01:18:41 PM
Cheers Steve, sorry....didn't mean to remain anonymous.....late night ramblings after fettling the fuel line.

Pictures....hmm.....don't want to scare the pets ! :o

a link perhaps, then folks can avoid them if they've just eaten or are considering new decor for the lounge ? ;)

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g305/comic_muse/CB750001.jpg

if the reaction isn't too violent I may post the 'top'

Nigel

near Tewkesbury, Glos

on the lookout for a tank for an F1.....have period bits to swop as a sweetner!
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: Bryanj on May 19, 2009, 02:25:28 PM
Nigel, I am only just south of Gloucester and just off j12 M5. I got a complete P reg untidy F1 if you want to make me an offer! (Doesnt run and wont be dear!)
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 19, 2009, 04:18:15 PM
Hmm.  Defo 1970's...    :o

Is that your workshop? (insert "envious" smiley)
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: Andy1976 on May 19, 2009, 04:55:42 PM
Hi mate welcome to the site. I've also got a 750F1 that I'm trying to get back on the road.
Best of luck with your bike

Andy
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: Sprunghub on May 19, 2009, 07:49:54 PM
"Is that your workshop?"

Sadly, no, that's the workshop of the guy who got talked into 'hosting' it when the chap put it up for sale.
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: Sprunghub on May 19, 2009, 07:57:50 PM
Cheers Andy....& Bryan, I've emailed you.

Nigel
Title: Re: New member intro
Post by: pae on May 20, 2009, 09:00:51 AM
Hi, welcome to the site.

Phil