Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: SpannerBrat on May 05, 2020, 03:09:20 PM
-
Hi,
As part of my ‘76 K2 cafe / brat build, I found out I had non-std forks (CB750 SS / similar) so I’ve taken the opportunity to convert the front end to a twin disc setup using CX500 callipers (the one calliper I bought within the box of nuts’n’bolts’n’stuff was CX...../ similar). I found a matching cal[attachimg=1][attachimg=2]liper for the other side & overhauled both parts. However, it appears that they’re not a mirror of each other. The hangers are handed (R & L as can be seen in the attached but the brake hose mounting points appear to be in the same position in both sides.
So my 1st question is - does it matter? I’m planning on a single hose to one calliper & looping over to the other so having matchy-matchy hides isn’t a worry for me (although it would have been nice for asthetics).
My 2nd question related to the location of the callipers - I’ve seen std bikes of the era of various cc’s with them both in front of the forks & behind (as I currently have them). Is there an optimum configuration and are there any issues (safety / performance) with having them one way or the other?
Thanks for any help / info.
-
They should be "handed" so the bleed screw is above the fluid inlet, better of with two hyd. lines using a long banjo bolt at the master cylinder.
-
At least they’re on the correct side of the forks!
So my LHS is OK but the RHS is not.
I had considered running 2 lines from the MC - 1 to each side - & still might. I’d just thought that one line down to the wheel with a connecting line was cleaner (I could imagine that bleeding would be easier with 2 same length lines tho).
So, will the RH calliper cause me problems (bleeding?) as it is?
-
Spanner... appreciate the boss sizes look slightly different, but can you not swap the hose and nipple over on the rhs?
A long & recent 750 thread on it here...
http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,21171.msg189251.html#msg189251
Simon
-
A two pipe system definitely makes bleeding a lot easier, as you are not "pulling" fluid back uphill as with a crossover which will tend to airlock. You may be able to bleed as by rotating the disc cyl. on one bolt.
-
Ka-Ja - If I understand your suggestion correctly, it doesn’t seem as simple as swapping them. The threads are different diameters. There’s also a “scoop†out of the casting at the hose entry point that allows the banjo to exit without fouling anything. Thanks for the link. Some interesting info. That’s certainly more effort than I’m hoping I’m going to have to get involved with.
Lobo - Thanks. Yes, I’ve heard that bleeding can be more troublesome in the linked calliper configuration. I’ve no particular issue running 2 full length hoses (one to each side) but before I buy anymore kit (another branded hose), is there any practical issue having the bleed nipple above (or below) the hose entry point?
-
As I said, you could probably turn the caliper a little on one loose mountingbolt to get the bleed nipple upto the level of the inlet hose being careful not to eject the piston while doing it.