Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: dritchy on June 04, 2009, 08:54:02 AM
-
Hi Im new here.
I wish I had found this site sooner!
After a quick read of some peoples woes, I am shure I must have come across most in the last couple of years of fixing and maintaining my 550 and 500.
It has been a real trial an error for me costing time of the road and money to try and replace hard to find bits an peices.
Im proud to say my daily ride is so sweet and reliable now that I have almost forgotten these personal trials that have got me here?
But not quite....As I delve into another custom resto?
that will be another story Im shure.
My supper sweet is a joy to ride it can keep up with most modern machines my mates ride and has done more miles since registration than any of my freinds bikes.
there should be a picture attached from a year ago, she has rearsets on now dunstal brand from the day, i had to mount them with my own custom brackets. will send an updated picture next time.
I will put a build profile togather on her to share all the modifications that have made her so very reliable.
cheers Doug
-
The 550 was, in the day, one of the most trouble free and well running Hondas you got in the workshop. All it needs is decent oil and filter every 1500 miles and it will last a very long time. (Plus the other servicing items as and when!!)
-
Hi Im new here.
I wish I had found this site sooner!
After a quick read of some peoples woes, I am shure I must have come across most in the last couple of years of fixing and maintaining my 550 and 500.
It has been a real trial an error for me costing time of the road and money to try and replace hard to find bits an peices.
Im proud to say my daily ride is so sweet and reliable now that I have almost forgotten these personal trials that have got me here?
But not quite....As I delve into another custom resto?
that will be another story Im shure.
My supper sweet is a joy to ride it can keep up with most modern machines my mates ride and has done more miles since registration than any of my freinds bikes.
there should be a picture attached from a year ago, she has rearsets on now dunstal brand from the day, i had to mount them with my own custom brackets. will send an updated picture next time.
I will put a build profile togather on her to share all the modifications that have made her so very reliable.
cheers Doug
I know I should never talk about how reliable my bikes are? As ol Murphy has it by Law the bloody thing would not start tonight and seemed to have a drained battery? yet when I tested it 11.59 v? charging it now. seemed to click a bit much from solanoid, the more i tryed, might replace a few parts, or the battery as this is the second little hickup with starting in the last 6 weeks. Its a two year old yuasa yumicron 12a-a. is there a better battery to run? have i had a good run with it? for a good price is there a better option? Any ideas would be apriaciated..... cheers
-
2-3 years seems about the average life of a battery nowadays and 11.? is way too low to do anything except maybe kickstart it and then everything has to be just right.
The charging circuit and components rarely go wrong EXCEPT for high resistance corroded connections-----a good clean and reassembly with dielectric grease usually restores charging to its original level
-
Battery should be 12.6V at rest and 14.5V when engine is running at 2k+ revs.
-
Thanks, it charged to 13.4 v and dropped to 12.6 over night and has stayed there for a couple of days. I havent put it in and tryed starting yet, I will be getting another battery as I need one for my 500 any way. The 500 motor is just about ready to go back in its frame, if the powdercoating has been done?