Honda-SOHC
General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: hs on June 11, 2009, 09:14:25 AM
-
Hello to all. I am the new, but increasingly frustrated, owner of a 1978 CB550, based in Gloucestershire. I'm having real difficulties with the front brake and, having replaced various parts with no overall improvement, am starting to go round in circles. I'm beginning to wonder whether the m/c is sucking in air somehow. Does anyone know whether there's someone in my neck of the woods who might be able to point me in the right direction? Many thanks. Harry
-
Welcome to the fold. Brakes were good at the time but not up to modern standards, particuarly in the wet. Braided steel brake lines are meant to inprove matters btw. I'm over in mid Wales so no use to you I'm afraid. Just how bad are they? What fixes have you tried?
-
Thanks Matthew. I have: cleaned out the caliper, replaced the piston seal, replaced the top hose with stainless steel (and am waiting for the delivery of a new bottom hose), and cleaned and rebuilt the m/c. When I refilled, the m/c took a very long time to prime and sent the fluid down very slowly. Now, after about 90 minutes of bleeding over several days, the lever is still very spongy and under pressure I get a fairly constant stream of tiny bubbles in the reservoir. Could the m/c be sucking in air somewhere? I've now taken it apart and rebuilt it twice. Incidentally, there was no check valve in David Silver's new kit, as shown on the Haynes exploded diagram, but I gather this is normal as the part is unnecessary...? In addition the piston and secondary cup that came with the kit were very slightly different to the ones that came off the bike (although the same length and diameter) so I simply cleaned up and re-used the old ones. In truth I suspect the whole arrangement needs to be looked at by someone who knows more about it than I do...!
-
Where in Glos are you as i am about 2 miles from Junct 12 M5
-
Wow - I'm very close to J13, so not far from you at all. Any chance you're any good with brakes...?!
-
Bryan's good with everything... ;D
-
Thats what i keep telling the missus Steve!!
-
:o