Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: Andy1976 on June 16, 2009, 09:12:36 AM

Title: Oil leak
Post by: Andy1976 on June 16, 2009, 09:12:36 AM
I've managed to get my bike running and after I took it for a short run I've found oil leaking from the cylinder head.
What causes oil to leak and how do you fix it?  ???
Other than this everything seems to be fine.

Thanks
Andy.
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: mick on June 16, 2009, 09:18:21 AM
Hi Andy are you sure its the head ? if it is then you will need a new gasket, it could also be the rev counter drive oil seal or one of the tappet covers leaking , cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Andy1976 on June 16, 2009, 09:34:26 AM
Hi Mick,
I'll have another look tonight, Ive gotta go to work now. :(
Thanks
Andy
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Andy1976 on June 16, 2009, 04:55:13 PM
I've had another look this aft and it seems to be coming from exhaust tappet covers on 1&4 so that can be easily fixed.
But..... on start up I get quite a bit of white smoke, which seems to thin out as the bike warms up. Is this a dodgy valve oil seal or is it still burning off excess oil from the rebuild?
I used quite a bit when putting it back together and I only did 2 miles when out doing a test run on sunday.

Thanks again
Andy
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: mick on June 16, 2009, 10:10:10 PM
Hi Andy that sounds like an easy fix if its only the tappet covers  ;), mine smoked for a while after rebuild and i used plenty of oil whilst rebuilding seems to have settled down now  :), cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Andy1976 on June 16, 2009, 11:37:40 PM
1st time I noticed it the light wasn't that good so I didn't see the covers leaking. ::)
Some of the guys on the US site said not to worry too much about the smoke, it'll settle down after I've put some miles on her.
Phew!! panic over.

Cheers
Andy
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Andy1976 on July 29, 2009, 07:23:08 PM
It's still leaking!!!!!!!!!!  >:(
The tappet cover seals have been replaced and four bolt holes have been heli coiled as the rocker cover was also leaking.New rocker gasket. It looks as if it's leaking between 1+2.The head gasket seems fine. I was on the phone to a guy in Wetherby this morning and he said it may be the round disc under the cam carriers that may be causing it.
These round discs were replaced with new ones when I rebuilt the top end.

Any Ideas on this.  (This bike will not get the better of Me)  ???

Andy
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Bryanj on July 30, 2009, 03:33:23 PM
Oil can leak arround those "pucks" if you didnt use a sealant on them.

Also the stud/bolt holes on  the cam bearings are through holes and if not in excellant order can leak oil down the threads.

But first have you checked the tacho cable seal
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Andy1976 on July 30, 2009, 04:32:19 PM
Hi Brian,
The tacho cable seems OK.
Thinking back to when I rebuilt the top end, I'm pretty sure I didn't use any sealant on the pucks so I'm guessing it's this that causing it to leak.
When I've got it stripped down (again  ::) ) I'll also check the bolt hole threads.
What sealant would you recommend?

Thanks again
Andy
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Bryanj on July 30, 2009, 06:07:47 PM
Personally I would use Silicone VERY sparingly, but then i have been doing it for years and know where not to get the goo so it doesnt block anything, The guys on the US site have lots of different ideas on the subject, would be worth looking at mike reike (i think thats spelt wrrong) posts
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: mick on July 30, 2009, 11:16:05 PM
Hi Andy i used Hylomar Blue when i rebuilt my engine , just make sure you get some all around the recess the pucks sit in then they should seal up ok ;), cheers Mick.
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Bryanj on July 31, 2009, 09:37:32 AM
Ah good old Hylomar as use by the best----Rolls Royce

JUST NOT TOO MUCH
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Dave M on August 01, 2009, 07:40:39 AM
Much better than silicon Hermetite.

A while back I was given a'69 G plate 175 which had a seized cam.

Once everyting was fixed I couldn't get any oil up the stud to the head. Stripped off the clutch case and found a nice blob of orange Hermetite sitting in an oilway.

A previous owner had done some work and used too much with disastrous results.
Title: Re: Oil leak
Post by: Yoshi823 on November 19, 2009, 10:16:41 PM
I use talc to indicate where oil leaks emanate from.Clean off the engine and apply talc (or that unused self-raising flour that is always bought but never used).