Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: Andrew-S on July 11, 2020, 12:34:00 PM

Title: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Andrew-S on July 11, 2020, 12:34:00 PM
Is the CB550 Super Sport orange, a candy paint - a friend is painting his, so asking for him?

Thanks, Andrew
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Andrew-S on July 11, 2020, 05:40:11 PM
It's not going to be a standard bike and he's considering his paint options at the moment, but RAL2005 looks close enough.

Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: davefirestorm on July 11, 2020, 08:32:06 PM
Just had my 750F painted Flake Sunrise Orange
[attachimg=2]
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 11, 2020, 08:40:07 PM
Lovely colour and nice paint job!
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: davefirestorm on July 11, 2020, 11:17:37 PM
Yes very pleased with it,yet to put it back on bike
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 12, 2020, 06:58:00 AM
Is that RS paint?
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: davefirestorm on July 12, 2020, 01:16:41 PM
Because I asked him to😀It’s how I want it to look,looks better when sun shines on it
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: SteveW on July 12, 2020, 02:39:00 PM
I’m about to paint my side panels in the Ford pearlescent orange the Focus RS is painted in.

If it’s any good I’ll do the tank in it.
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: davefirestorm on July 12, 2020, 05:11:17 PM
Like Orange on a car or bike,I always yearned for a Jota I guess that’s why😁 Had to wait few years to get a Jota and didn’t like it lol.[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Bryanj on July 12, 2020, 08:33:16 PM
Used to like teararsing short journies on a  shop Jota but not something i wanted to own
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: deltarider on July 13, 2020, 11:13:34 AM
P3. of the CB550F, F1 partslist http://www.honda4fun.com/pdf_parts_list/pdf_spac550/CB550F_F1/CB550F_F1-1.pdf:
Flake sunrise orange Honda code: R-2C-F,
Shing orange Honda code: YR-26
For a perfect matching alternative, you'd better contact Menno.
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Bryanj on July 13, 2020, 01:16:26 PM
Yup Delta, but those codes mean nothing to paint suppliers
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: deltarider on July 13, 2020, 03:29:59 PM
Yup Delta, but those codes mean nothing to paint suppliers
To Menno they do. Also I remember I've seen those codes in a list and in the other column what that specific paint manufacturer (cans) had to offer as a replacement. I seem to remember it was a German manufacturer with a short name, something like two letters, but for the moment I can't recall it.
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: deltarider on July 13, 2020, 03:46:58 PM
I believe it was RH https://www.spraydosen-shop.de/spray-can-water-basecoat-honda-bike-motocycle-13f-turquoise-cb550-four-metalic-water-basecoat
But... I'd contact Menno.
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Bryanj on July 13, 2020, 04:05:57 PM
Maybe so and even to RS paints in UK but my meaning is that to a big paint supplier like ppg for example they mean nothing whilst the codes on cars do
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: davefirestorm on July 13, 2020, 06:45:50 PM
Honda didn’t do paintcodes till mid 1980s did they? Bryan is right that those codes mean nowt😃
I guess if you want exact as per factory you’d need to compare it to an original source I guess Menno has access to such a source? Guy that did mine was shown an image of what I reckoned was correct colour but he then showed me different amounts of metalflake I could have and I chose what I have had done,not factory match but what I want😁
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: deltarider on July 13, 2020, 08:05:46 PM
Hate to repeat myself: contact Menno. He's is the expert. I assume the Honda code is to communicate what you mean, to avoid any possible confusion. Just 'Orange' or 'Shining Orange' won't do, as the CB550F came in more than one orange, see? Sorry, I cannot make it much simpler.
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Bryanj on July 13, 2020, 08:18:17 PM
But the paint isnt being done by menno
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Menno on July 13, 2020, 08:44:14 PM
Is the CB550 Super Sport orange, a candy paint - a friend is painting his, so asking for him?

Thanks, Andrew

Shiny orange is a straight paint. No metallic, no candy.
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 13, 2020, 10:38:03 PM
Here you go. A local guy painted a 400/4 with RS's 400/4 Red recently  (water based) and said it's one of the best paints he's applied. Expensive though and it comes pre-mixed so 1l = 1l of paint in the gun. I guess you get what you pay for and they do have a staggering range of paints for bikes.

[attachimg=1]

Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Andrew-S on July 14, 2020, 10:50:36 AM
Is the CB550 Super Sport orange, a candy paint - a friend is painting his, so asking for him?

Thanks, Andrew

Shiny orange is a straight paint. No metallic, no candy.

Thanks for answering the original question Menno.

Hope you're well,
Andrew
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: deltarider on July 14, 2020, 02:12:35 PM
... shiny orange must be the F1 colour, bit of a misnomer as it was anything but shiny IMO.
That's why it is Shing Orange. http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=152434.0
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: deltarider on July 14, 2020, 03:51:20 PM
... one of the worst colours that Honda did in that period IMO. Of course that's just my opinion, others may love the colour but it never appealed to me at all...
Personally I hate the color orange (in general) so much, that I've banned it from my bike altogether but for the turn idiot light. Front indicators are clear now, rear indicators are red and the side reflectors are replaced by the crosshead the models exported to France had. So, it is still quite original.  :)
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Andrew-S on July 14, 2020, 04:27:17 PM
To be honest, the only orange bike I'd have would be a Jota.  ???
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: davefirestorm on July 14, 2020, 04:33:54 PM
BSA did a nice little 250 Barracuda in orange 😁
[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: hairygit on July 14, 2020, 04:36:23 PM
To be honest, the only orange bike I'd have would be a Jota.  ???
The only time I'm happy to see anything Italian (car, bike, clothes, people) is orange, as in on fire burning!

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 14, 2020, 05:41:04 PM
The 400F2 in Yellow was much unloved when it was in the showrooms.. and now everybody drools over them in that colour. Anyone like Honda 'Rat Grey'  ;D  . A C90 colour I believe.
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: Johnny4428 on July 14, 2020, 05:59:37 PM
I have seen neither an elephant nor a rat in that shade!
Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: K2-K6 on July 14, 2020, 08:48:42 PM
[attachimg=1]

Another orange bike that I use,  make and colour.

Title: Re: 550 Super Sport Shiny Orange
Post by: deltarider on July 14, 2020, 08:55:16 PM
The 400F2 in Yellow was much unloved when it was in the showrooms.. and now everybody drools over them in that colour.
Actually, a friend of mine is about to sell his yellow CB400F.