Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: AshimotoK0 on July 15, 2020, 07:29:10 PM

Title: David Silvers Original Mecum Sandcast at H&H Auction
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 15, 2020, 07:29:10 PM
Bit of sleuthing reveals that this Sandcast is the one I put DS onto and he bought at a bargain price at Mecum for his new at the time museum. I still can't understand why he sold this one before it ever got in his museum. OK he bought VIN 750 and it's an earlier model but this one was already museum quality ...it just needed the seat sorting out at the time. Interesting to see what it makes. He now has a Vic World restored one and the VIN 750 one was for sale at Unit 1 near to him, for some staggering amount, the last time a saw it.

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/-1969-honda-cb750-sandcast/?lot=50155&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=482&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=2&g=1

[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]



Title: Re: David Silvers Original Mecum Sandcast at H&H Auction
Post by: WestYorkshireBiker on July 15, 2020, 07:51:59 PM
I got mine from the H&H auction oddly enough. A lot cheaper mind you

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Title: Re: David Silvers Original Mecum Sandcast at H&H Auction
Post by: AshimotoK0 on July 16, 2020, 07:35:43 AM
This is the one David Silver initially bought for his museum (after the Mecum bike). I think he bought it off Craigslist but I much preferred the Mecum bike for it's originality, other than the novelty value of VIN 750 and of coure a 3 digit VIN. The last time I saw it in his museum it still had the generator cover stamped SOHC !

He replaced VIN750 in his museum  with a Vic Word restoration, which he bought at auction in the UK.

I think the place very near to him geographically and selling VIN 750 (UNIT 1 Motorcycles)   in the UK,  has close ties with DS, as a few of his imported bikes and the odd ex-museum bikes seem to end up there for sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283801601601[attachimg=1]
Title: Re: David Silvers Original Mecum Sandcast at H&H Auction
Post by: flatfour on July 16, 2020, 08:33:58 AM
When I last visited Unit 1 Motorcycles (some months ago now) they did say that they carried out work for DS to make bikes ready for UK registration on his behalf and also carried out repairs on bikes sold from time to time.
Title: Re: David Silvers Original Mecum Sandcast at H&H Auction
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on July 16, 2020, 08:58:12 AM
Unit 1 is in Wycombe Market which is about 3 miles from my mother-in-laws.

I try to pop in when I’m over there as it gets me out of the house…

Last time I was there DS was sitting in the office with a cup of coffee.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk