Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: mickandsej on July 18, 2020, 06:00:48 PM

Title: Drilled disc?
Post by: mickandsej on July 18, 2020, 06:00:48 PM
I’ve just swapped out my drilled disc, wasn’t really that hot on it, but mainly I thought it was clanging the pads. Turns out it’s the brand new caliper! Was about 2mm longer than the OEM one and it was hitting the rivets on the disc!!
I road the bike with it on, it was not warped and is about 7mm+ thick, can’t measure just yet as my caliper have a flat battery. The clanking was only noticed when I span the wheel after fitting the new caliper. I’ve ground off the excess and now it’s A1.
Are these drilled discs any good? Should I keep as a spare if/when the used solid one wears down?
Could have saved myself a few quid but honestly I checked everything before I bought another disc...

(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200718/6082ac7a68112f421afc3cea55a24f01.jpg)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Drilled disc?
Post by: robvangulik on July 18, 2020, 06:28:48 PM
So now you have almost all the hardware needed to put a second disc brake on your bike? ;)
Title: Re: Drilled disc?
Post by: mickandsej on July 18, 2020, 07:00:12 PM



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Drilled disc?
Post by: mickandsej on July 18, 2020, 07:00:23 PM



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Drilled disc?
Post by: bobv7 on July 19, 2020, 10:12:14 PM
Back in the day I had the stainless disc drilled on my 400/4 and amazing I finally could stop in the wet! The iron discs used on UK bikes may have gone rusty but at least they worked.
Title: Re: Drilled disc?
Post by: Bryanj on July 20, 2020, 08:40:06 AM
Sorry but who wants a brake that locks up in the English rain, been there, done that cost me new bottom yoke, handlebars and headlamp with brackets
Title: Re: Drilled disc?
Post by: bobv7 on July 20, 2020, 08:48:02 AM
Never happened to me in over 30K miles I owned it. Perhaps whoever did the work didn't do it right?
Title: Re: Drilled disc?
Post by: cooleronthecoast on July 20, 2020, 09:27:34 AM
On the subject of drilled discs, I've had this lurking in my shed since I first got my 550.  I've never had it fitted on my bike, so I can't comment on its effectiveness or otherwise, but it seems straight enough and its about 7mm thick on average.   If anyone wants it, how does a tenner plus carriage sound?



[attachimg=1]