Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: internix on August 07, 2009, 08:05:57 PM

Title: Steering Lock
Post by: internix on August 07, 2009, 08:05:57 PM
I want to fit a new steering lock to my 1977 CB550 F2 as I have no keys for mine and I can`t see a number on the lock. I see DS do a replacement lock for
Title: Re: Steering Lock
Post by: pae on August 07, 2009, 09:45:51 PM
If it's like the 650 it's held in by a pressed-in stud, with a washer under the head. I managed to get mine out by tapping a thin bladed screwdriver under the washer and carefully levering the stud out.

It was a while ago, but I think you need to operate the lock for it to pull out the slot it's in (it doesn't just fall out). With a new one you'll obviously have a key so that's OK. With the old one you drill a hole down the centre of the lock, until it all disintegrates, and then it WILL just fall out.

As they say "installation is the reverse of the above"

(http://uk.geocities.com/cb650@btinternet.com/pic083)

Phil
Title: Re: Steering Lock
Post by: Dave M on August 08, 2009, 07:43:13 AM
Pae's right. I replaced the one on my CB550F2 exactly as he said.

I used one from David Silvers and it worked a treat.
Title: Re: Steering Lock
Post by: internix on August 08, 2009, 02:50:34 PM
Thanks for the advice gents. A previous owner has prised the washer off leaving just the remains of the brass rivet. I`ll drill out the lock and get a new one ordered from DS.
Title: Re: Steering Lock
Post by: fazer1k on September 10, 2009, 06:01:59 PM
I installed a new steering lock sourced from David Silver, no problems fitting and it works fine.

Any idea where I can find a new suitable brass rivet/washer to fit ?

(the lock works ok without this, but tends to pull out of the barrel when unlocking)

Thanks.
Title: Re: Steering Lock
Post by: Bryanj on September 11, 2009, 08:32:21 AM
Just drill a small hole and use a large headed self taper, as long as part of the head is over the lock barrel it will be fine
Title: Re: Steering Lock
Post by: fazer1k on September 15, 2009, 06:26:13 PM
Found that you can still order the following part numbers (which hold the brass barrel of the steering lock in place).....

53603051000    RIVET,4.1MM                  1     1.12
53604098940    WASHER, 4.5MM                1     1.03

from www.lings.com - although the postage for the above is a ridiculous