Honda-SOHC
Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: JonnyB on August 17, 2009, 08:36:56 AM
-
Do you nod to other bikers?
I've been biking for 20+ years and I've always nodded on coming motorcyclists whether they are big bike or little 50cc scooters, I don't expect a nod back but it's nice.
Yesterday I did 120 miles a big round trip via Cleethorpes and Hull, I must have see 100+ bikes of various sizes and I can say that less that 10 returned a Nod.
I got to thinking, the Returning nodders were all Bikes that were either Classic or at least 80's early 90's, the GPZeds and GS types and Biker that were clearly all weather riders / commuters.
So are the others the summer only riders, you know the sort, 40 something, sunny day only, colour coordinated leathers, matching pillion dolly, average annual mileage 200 miles between May and September?
-
Hi Jonny,
I belong to the latter catagory, I'm 52 after a 20+ year break from motorcycling I still nod to all 2 wheel users, some nod back some don't, but on a sunny day...what the hell.
Alan ;)
-
I've always nodded but it seems to be a pastime that's in decline.
-
seems to be on the decline, I've been biking for 10 years, pretty mutch always nodded or waved to other bikers, the ones dressed like power rangers or weekend worriors seem not to follow the conventions, particuarly if your bike is small or well used. A lot more nods % of bikers seen when riding in winter
-
It's been getting less and less each year, besides nodding I always wave, but a lot of the time there is no response. When you go to Europe, mainland it's a totally different story. a supposition is that they can remove the clutch hand to wave whereas we have to remove the throttle hand, which is closest. I don't want to castigate any bikers whatever their chosen attitude, but when we meet then hopefully they will be part of the same fraternity.
Did a south island NZ tour and when you get off the bike you are almost dragged into their homes to discuss "the Motorcycle". Love the place.
-
I always nod and usually get a nod back. Old(er) guys on scooters nod back (the young kids don't).
-
Yes bit of a mixed bag, I'm still amazed that the majority of bikers that I meet are all "greybeards" like me, and they all nod. The younger guys seem to be gong that fast and concentrating that hard that they probably don't have the time ! Mind you I went around like the back of my seat was on fire when I was young and I still had time to nod.
Cheers
Den
-
I'm the same as bigal I always nod and sometimes get response. Tis true the younger fraternity tend not to, and Harley riders only to their fellow owners mostly. Older bikers are on the whole friendlier and abroad a Brit bike especially is treated with reverence. Street bikes seem to be the least friendly but then they do seem to go past at a great rate of knots,probably waving half a mile down the road.