Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: mal457 on August 08, 2020, 11:47:52 AM

Title: New Member saying hello.
Post by: mal457 on August 08, 2020, 11:47:52 AM
New member saying hi.
I am in Wales UK and many years ago I had a cb750SOHC chop. I took it apart to restore it but this never happened. Anyway long story drastically shortened I sold it but the buyer did not want the block, so it was put under my work bench. Fast forward to today and it was seen by a buyer of my Triumph who said it may be worth money.
Engine number is cb750e 1000002710 (may too many 0's). It is a complete lower end incl conrods, crank no covers or sump.
My question is is it worth anything and roughly how much?
Apologies for joining and immediately asking questions.
Thanks for letting me join.
Title: New Member saying hello.
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on August 08, 2020, 12:26:54 PM
What (or who) is Kidwelly Motorcycles?

I googled it before approving your registration but couldn’t find anything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: New Member saying hello.
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 08, 2020, 01:01:54 PM
Photos of what remains of the engine would be good, with a clear photo of the engine number. Has it got the standard huge hole/ damage to the bottom case due to chain damage?. Is it seized? If, and only if, it is a Sandcast engine as your numbers suggest, it may be worth a bit but condition of the cases is everything. Not worth much if the internals aren't standard. They cost an absolute fortune to overhaul and rebuild and engine parts are very, very difficult to come by for the early SOHC/4's. But without all the info and 100% evidence it's an early engine, it's not worth much at all really.
Title: Re: New Member saying hello.
Post by: mal457 on August 08, 2020, 01:34:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions.
The engine is not seized and has the correct crank, conrods. The camchain has not made a hole in the cases. No holes or damage that I can see. I will try to upload some pictures shortly.
Title: Re: New Member saying hello.
Post by: Nurse Julie on August 08, 2020, 01:36:28 PM
It's not the cam chain that makes the hole in the case, it's the drive chain due to back lash (sorted out when Honda fitted a larger sprocket).
Title: Re: New Member saying hello.
Post by: JamesH on August 08, 2020, 01:52:45 PM
I’m definitely interested in buying. Will send Pm.
Title: Re: New Member saying hello.
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 08, 2020, 01:56:22 PM
Welcome ! How many screws hold on the clutch cover? That will tell you whether it's a sandcast or not.Outside should have rough 'sandcast' finish not smooth as on later diecasts. Does it have a brownish coating on the insides of the crankcases? Does it have Japanese charcters on the  big end part of the conrods or 'normal letters or numbers?  Must agree with Julie though a picture would tell us everything.
Title: Re: New Member saying hello.
Post by: adespin on August 08, 2020, 08:30:00 PM
What (or who) is Kidwelly Motorcycles?

I googled it before approving your registration but couldn’t find anything.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live ten miles from Kidwelly and can say with some certainty that there is no "Kidwelly Motorcycles",  unless someone is repairing motorcycles from their garden shed. Kidwelly is little more than large village with a castle and a cafe.