Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: bobthebuilder on August 25, 2009, 07:13:40 PM

Title: powder coating /engine block
Post by: bobthebuilder on August 25, 2009, 07:13:40 PM
Hi. Guys, been busy fetteling, and in need of some advice, powder coating on engine block past its best,  was thinking of rubbing down and painting, was wondering what would be best paint to use and any tips are welcome. This on my cb750k2?/k7 Franken Bike. Thanks in advance Bob. :-\
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: Spitfire on August 26, 2009, 10:56:06 AM
Hi Bob, are you stripping the engine down and repainting individual items, are we talking about the head, barrels and crankcases ?

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: bobthebuilder on August 26, 2009, 11:17:02 AM
Hi. Den,

             Thanks for your reply, have removed engine from bike **** and I am polishing the barrels would like to spray crankcase.
                                                Bob,
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: Spitfire on August 26, 2009, 11:52:47 AM
OK, when I was rebuilding mine I removed the head and barrels, masked off the side casings and set about cleaning up the rest.
The head had a broken exhaust stud so it was sent off to be fixed (local car repair shop) they sat the head in a bath for 2 days or so after the repair to clean it. This did not seem to do much at all, so I set about it with my Dremel, lots of little wire brushes, wire wool (Brillo pads), lolly sticks etc. Did the same with the barrels.
The crankcases were treated pretty much the same with some bits washed with paraffin to degrease them.
I did a search on the US SOHC site which came up with some VHT paint, aluminium, it is a pretty good match for the colour that Honda used.
The head, barrels, oil filter cover and small breather cover were sprayed left to dry and then cooked in the oven. Crankcases were sprayed and left to cure when the bike was fired up.
The paint seems to have weathered OK but then I do not use the bike on a daily basis, on the crankcases there are a couple of marks from spilt petrol but the rest of the engine seems OK, I did overcook the head so it does have a slight yellowish cast.
There is a lot of info on the US site on this subject, have a search and see what comes up http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php

Here's some photos of mine in progress.

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/cleaning%20and%20painting%20the%20engine/HeadinOven.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/cleaning%20and%20painting%20the%20engine/Motor2.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/cleaning%20and%20painting%20the%20engine/crankases3.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/cleaning%20and%20painting%20the%20engine/crankcasesbig2.jpg)
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: Spitfire on August 26, 2009, 12:01:19 PM
I got the paint at US Automotive (UK based) http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/scripts/prodList.asp
I do not have any experience of powder coating engine parts but I would presume that you would have to do a complete strip.
Forgot to show you the end result.

(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Engine/Polishedcovers001big.jpg)


Cheers

Den
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: pae on August 26, 2009, 01:17:15 PM
I used this (available at Halfords)...

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/cb650/pic265.jpg)

Did a pretty good job, covers well, doesn't run, dries fast, and has taken quite a bit of manhandling without coming off. Need to prep fairly well, but that applies to everything.

Finsihed job when putting it back in frame...

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/cb650/pic217.jpg)

and a bit more complete...

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/cb650/pic244.jpg)
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: bobthebuilder on August 26, 2009, 04:33:46 PM
Thanks for info and pics. if mine turns out to look half as good as yours I will be fair CHUFFED.

 ;D
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: Seamus on August 27, 2009, 09:38:49 PM
I used Halfords own high temperature paint. Worked fine on the engine and barrels and head.
Not done many miles since, but it looks OK.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/Gearbox_photos/front.jpg[/img]](http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/Gearbox_photos/front.jpg) (http://[img width=600 height=450)

Good luck

Seamus
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on August 28, 2009, 08:37:34 AM
I also used Halfords VHT "Aluminium" Engine Paint on my Sprint - it matches the alloy footrest hangers perfectly.
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: bobthebuilder on August 28, 2009, 09:39:39 PM
Thanks for all the info and tips have looked at a few of the paints but most seam to need to bake in the oven, or at least exposed to high temps. As her indoors seams upset about the idea of me bringing it into the kitchen to put in the oven any other way to cure it,  again thanks in advance.

Bob
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: pae on August 29, 2009, 09:07:06 AM
Didn't bake mine, and it was a good few months after painting before I ran the engine so it saw no heat at all for a long time. Still on there, good and sound.

Phil
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: Spitfire on August 29, 2009, 09:13:16 AM
Bob, her indoors is right, when I baked my parts the smell was really bad and lingered for quite some time, luckily I'd just been persuaded by the boss to splash out on a new kitchen with a nice NEF oven so she could not really shout too much.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: bobthebuilder on August 29, 2009, 05:00:21 PM
Hi. Phil, Which paint did you use, don't fancy having to buy new kitchen.

Bob.
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: AshimotoK0 on August 30, 2009, 08:50:09 AM
Hi see this post and my reply to it on the sister US site

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=57481.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The UK Sandcast Guru C***R says he uses
Title: Re: powder coating /engine block
Post by: pae on August 30, 2009, 10:22:37 AM
Hi. Phil, Which paint did you use, don't fancy having to buy new kitchen.

Bob.

This one, same as AshimotoK0 lists in his post just above. Should be available in Halfords or any other car repair shop

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/cb650/pic265.jpg)