Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: Athame57 on August 31, 2020, 11:15:49 AM

Title: Exhaust gaskets, which way around?
Post by: Athame57 on August 31, 2020, 11:15:49 AM
Ding dong. It sounds like a daft question, but I find the exhaust gaskets have a flat side and  sloped one. Nothing I can find on the web or manual is helping me find out which way around they go!  :-\
Title: Re: Exhaust gaskets, which way around?
Post by: Bryanj on August 31, 2020, 12:15:12 PM
Dont matter, when you fit the clamps and tighten down they get crushed anyway.

Mmake sure the old ones are out, they get to look like they are pary of the head and feel like metal!!
Title: Re: Exhaust gaskets, which way around?
Post by: Athame57 on August 31, 2020, 12:21:47 PM
Dont matter, when you fit the clamps and tighten down they get crushed anyway.
Mmake sure the old ones are out, they get to look like they are pary of the head and feel like metal!!
Thanks mate, I've been a bit phobic about old ones still in but I'm satified they are just another missing part of the bike to replace....there's been quite a few!
Title: Re: Exhaust gaskets, which way around?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on August 31, 2020, 05:42:16 PM
In such circumstances although it probably doesn't matter I usually put the flat surface closest to the larger flat metal area and the other surface to the smallest area.

If both areas are the same then this will not apply!

I used to come across this type of thing with some copper type gaskets one face would be dead flat & the other would have the lip bulge around the edges where the squashable double surface was.