Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on September 01, 2020, 08:11:46 PM
-
Not sure where to post this question so as I have a CB400F2 I thought here is a good start.
I've seen a few CB400 fours on e-bay with alloy wheels presumably from a later model - I don't think they suit but can understand why someone might fit them.
Personally I like the period spoked wheels but was curious if fitting alloy wheels is a cheaper option than having existing spoked wheels refurbished.
If I had to choose between retaining original but imperfect spoked wheels and fitting alloys I would be faced with a conundrum. As yet I have no idea how much a pair of decent reproduction spoked wheels with SS spokes would cost. 8)
-
I think the later ones were the comstar wheels from the cb250n or 400n super dream but they are 19†wheels
A compromise is polished deep alloy rims and stainless spokes maybe?
This is what I did on mine and built them myself as I was feeling brave
Best wishes Al
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200901/ccca9ac7f2e144711b150a6cd8ef8d3f.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200901/fa401dc64b9d6720ab9788e39eda398c.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200901/26b2effdc4509fb2b781c8212b43d6e0.jpg)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
400/4's never came with alloy wheels as standard, only ever spoked. But, many of us fitted them back in the day as it was all the rage. Personally, I think spokes look fantastic and are totally in keeping with the style of the bike.
-
Yes agree with Julie. Some bikes suit alloys some don’t, personally I never liked alloys when they started using them instead of the traditional spoked wheels. Chrome rims and stainless spokes for me.
-
I think it is. Not so long ago someone on here was trying to help a friend sell a yellow one with comstars it looked awful (if I'm to be asked). One of the beauties of the CB400F and it's family is that they feature so many old fashioned parts like the raised fuel cap and external oil filter which forced the seemingly unique wavy down pipes to clear it, it's classic metal mudguards complete with braces, it would have looked alright with drum brakes! The bikes that followed featured ever more plastic and new styles.
-
The CB250RS came from the factory with alloy rims on spoked wheels.
I needed new rims for my 400f and bought alloy rims for it instead of steel, about half the weight. 😎
-
The CB250RS came from the factory with alloy rims on spoked wheels.
I needed new rims for my 400f and bought alloy rims for it instead of steel, about half the weight. 😎
Do you mean you fitted the rims from an RS to a 400F? I had 4 different CB250RS's in my dispatch days. The one you see in the pic lasted (forced to last!) 77,000 miles. I customized it as you can see.
-
I think the later ones were the comstar wheels from the cb250n or 400n super dream but they are 19†wheels
A compromise is polished deep alloy rims and stainless spokes maybe?
This is what I did on mine and built them myself as I was feeling brave
Best wishes Al
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200901/ccca9ac7f2e144711b150a6cd8ef8d3f.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200901/fa401dc64b9d6720ab9788e39eda398c.jpg)
(https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200901/26b2effdc4509fb2b781c8212b43d6e0.jpg)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What was front end / twin discs off? What hub did you use?
-
The CB250RS came from the factory with alloy rims on spoked wheels.
I needed new rims for my 400f and bought alloy rims for it instead of steel, about half the weight. 😎
Do you mean you fitted the rims from an RS to a 400F? I had 4 different CB250RS's in my dispatch days. The one you see in the pic lasted (forced to last!) 77,000 miles. I customized it as you can see.
I looked for some decent CB250RS wheels at the time because I believe they fit straight onto the 400f. Someone may put me right on that one.
The only ones around were pretty rough so I bought new ally rims and laced them up on my original hubs.
-
I think it is. Not so long ago someone on here was trying to help a friend sell a yellow one with comstars it looked awful (if I'm to be asked). One of the beauties of the CB400F and it's family is that they feature so many old fashioned parts like the raised fuel cap and external oil filter which forced the seemingly unique wavy down pipes to clear it, it's classic metal mudguards complete with braces, it would have looked alright with drum brakes! The bikes that followed featured ever more plastic and new styles.
Have to agree re. the look of a well set up drum brake. I admit that the attached pic. isn't a 400, and it's not even a Honda! But surely a thing of beauty? (Even if I have doubts about the positioning of the locking wire!)
-
I like the idea of polished alloy wheels with SS spokes - I would retain the single disc brake and 18" wheel.
Great pics by the way.
Has anyone got a link for a supplier please ? - sounds like a perfect Christmas present from Wendy.
-
I like the idea of polished alloy wheels with SS spokes - I would retain the single disc brake and 18" wheel.
Great pics by the way.
Has anyone got a link for a supplier please ? - sounds like a perfect Christma present from Wendy.
Shop around. Try Hagon, Central Wheel Components and Devon Rim Co.
-
Yes my stainless spokes and polished alloy rims were supplied by central wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-
I like the idea of polished alloy wheels with SS spokes - I would retain the single disc brake and 18" wheel.
Great pics by the way.
Has anyone got a link for a supplier please ? - sounds like a perfect Christma present from Wendy.
Shop around. Try Hagon, Central Wheel Components and Devon Rim Co.
I've found Devon Rim Co but my Laptop security will not let me use links to Hagon in seems to direct me to Cylex instead not sure if this is right?
-
Yes my stainless spokes and polished alloy rims were supplied by central wheel
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TBH i'm torn between Stainless & Alloy rims - chrome is fantastic but don't want the maintenance involved. As Central Wheels are only in Coleshill I think I will pop over nearer the time to get the visual input of seeing them in the flesh.
Will definitely need to do a good job on the hubs whichever I go for.
-
A lot more maintenance on Stainless and alloy rims than chrome. Chain lube loves to eat in to stainless and alloy ;)
-
A lot more maintenance on Stainless and alloy rims than chrome. Chain lube loves to eat in to stainless and alloy ;)
I didn't realise that - whilst talking to my BiL (Dave) I toyed verbally with going bling with Gold Anodised Rims & Hubs. Then Hydro transfer petrol tank & panels !!
Maybe decent British Chrome would make more sense.