Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on October 10, 2020, 03:14:22 AM
-
At first glance I thought this was badly worn but looking at the part picture on DS it looks like its how they are designed!
When I reassemble it is there any point in packing it with grease or will the oil in the clutch somehow provide lubrication?
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50443101192_84fe3060c2_o.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2jRu5zf)Clutch casing mechanism (https://flic.kr/p/2jRu5zf) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
-
This is normal. As long as the balls in the cage are perfectly round, no rust or flat spots just a smear of grease on the balls is needed. Also remember to change the o'ring ;)
-
The balls are in pretty poor condition not sure what size they are perhaps DS sells them.
-
They have not been available for years. PM Julie as i will have some somewhere.
-
They have not been available for years. PM Julie as i will have some somewhere.
I've measured them up they are 10 mm bearings - my brother should have some that size - if not I will contact NJ. Thanks
Not sure about the O ring its a small critter do you know the size by any chance?
-
They have not been available for years. PM Julie as i will have some somewhere.
I've measured them up they are 10 mm bearings - my brother should have some that size - if not I will contact NJ. Thanks
Not sure about the O ring its a small critter do you know the size by any chance?
The ball bearings are 10.25mm, so 10mm ones will fall out of the little baskets. I think the 10.25 size is specifically licenced to Honda, as I have searched worldwide for replacements and can't find any. Even in imperial, there is no exact equivalent.
-
They have not been available for years. PM Julie as i will have some somewhere.
I've measured them up they are 10 mm bearings - my brother should have some that size - if not I will contact NJ. Thanks
Not sure about the O ring its a small critter do you know the size by any chance?
The ball bearings are 10.25mm, so 10mm ones will fall out of the little baskets. I think the 10.25 size is specifically licenced to Honda, as I have searched worldwide for replacements and can't find any. Even in imperial, there is no exact equivalent.
When I measured mine they were 10.12 mm and are more like a golf ball texture. I need 3 that are much better not sure what to do.
-
Steve has got some.
https://www.400fourbits.co.uk/#engine
-
13/32" balls are available (0.07mm too big). Does anybody know if these would do. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?products_id=38926&vat_inc=true
-
I've sourced one from NJ thanks guys. I think 13/32 is too big for the cage and the bit they sit in. The size is closest to 0.4 inch.
-
10.25mm = 0.40354â€
13/32†= 0.40625â€
Would a difference of 0.00271†make such a difference?
If they measure 10.12, that’s 0.39842†so a difference of 0.00783; still not big, but too big?
I’m interested to hear wha they thoughts are, because I’d be tempted to say, “close enoughâ€, certainly in the first case.
-
I suspect that 0.00271" would stop the balls moving within the cage - or at the very least bind. I'm happy to fit the ones from NJ they will be good for many years.
-
10.25mm = 0.40354â€
13/32†= 0.40625â€
Would a difference of 0.00271†make such a difference?
If they measure 10.12, that’s 0.39842†so a difference of 0.00783; still not big, but too big?
I’m interested to hear wha they thoughts are, because I’d be tempted to say, “close enoughâ€, certainly in the first case.
It doesn't work as i have tried it many years ago ;)