Honda-SOHC

General => New Member Introductions => Topic started by: PatM on September 28, 2009, 07:54:24 PM

Title: Hi everyone!
Post by: PatM on September 28, 2009, 07:54:24 PM
I'm a newbie, so please don't snigger! But Im not new to bikes, as Ive had em since 1975. Just brought a 400/4 off ebay- to remind me what things were like when I last had one in the late 80's
This ones got some problems- well, it wouldnt be a vintage if it hadnt! It now starts first prod, ticks over ok, but will not rev over 4k or 5 k with the cover off the air filter. I stripped the carbs, plenty of cleaner- found loads of crud in them and removed it, found the jet rubbers worn and replaced them with donor jets with reasonable rubbers, but little improvement. I'm trying not to make this a life labour- I need to check the advance retard, but I'm sure its carbs?? any ideas or suggestions?

I don't want to shell out for carb rebuilds till I'm absolutely sure- as the funds are as ever limited and the wife's patience limited...:-0

anything would be a help, please!

Regards

PatM
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: dave400 on September 28, 2009, 08:09:28 PM
Hello and welcome, I
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: PatM on September 29, 2009, 09:31:10 AM
Thanks for your comment Dave and if it is carbs, then Ill get there eventually. Im on standard pipes and points/condersors and coal- nothing techiie!
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: dave400 on September 29, 2009, 07:09:50 PM
Nice looking bike Pat if the one in the photo is yours, I had my bike that colour but I put it back to the original blue......what colour are your plugs after a plug chop after a run under load at the max revs you can get?
Dave
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on September 29, 2009, 07:20:42 PM
Pat - put your location in your profile.

Help is always available (as long as it's not too far!)

Steve
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: pae on September 30, 2009, 08:55:27 PM
Hi Pat, welcome to the site,

Phil
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: Spitfire on October 01, 2009, 12:45:56 PM
Hi Pat, welcome, don't get tunnel vision about the carbs, check over everything else first, timing, valve clearance etc etc. Then get tunnel vision !

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: Hi everyone!- carbs!
Post by: PatM on October 14, 2009, 02:55:59 PM
Overwhelmed with the positive response- Thanks! Dave asks what colour are the plugs? The answer is BLACK.
I have ordered a set of Keyster kits from good ol' USA and I
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 14, 2009, 04:30:41 PM
Maidstone - now you are talking!

There's a fairly active group of members in E London and Kent (and I'm in Canterbury fairly regularly)

If you get really stuck and need a second opinion, post here and we'll come over and drink your coffee!

Steve
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: PatM on October 14, 2009, 07:35:51 PM
Hi Steve, yes, i think you sold a nice tank to my bro the other week- Hes A 400/4 nut and is aiming for perfection!
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on October 15, 2009, 07:17:21 AM
Small world   :)
Title: Re: Hi everyone!
Post by: PatM on October 15, 2009, 03:45:57 PM
Keyster carb bits fitted and bike now revs like its should. need to ballance them as a bit flat at 3k but revs like billio so big smilles and now need to do a sensible list of things to do next before MOT time..