Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: pablo on February 26, 2021, 03:57:33 PM
-
Hi
I would be interested to hear peoples view of the value of my bike. It has had a full restoration. Frame powder coated,engine painted etc.the exhausts have no holes but the baffles are rattling. 1978 reg.
I’m thinking of swapping it for something else.
-
Unfortunately the answer is less than a 500 and whatever some body is willing to pay, at a guess 2=3 grand
-
At 2-3 grand, I would buy it. The K3 was and still is a great touring bike and the best of the CB500/550 range for two-up riding, which I hate BTW :D. Yours look great and here, with those impeccable mufflers, it would go for double that money. The K3 has some typical difficulties, but they can be helped.
Personally I never understood the appreciation of the in my view overvalued "0" series and sandcasts. As if Honda did everything right the first time.
If I look at my own CB500K2-ED there isn't one aspect I don't like better than the first model CB500. Colour scheme and striping are way nicer imo - I prefer black over hippie colour bikes - and the bike had some technical improvements it needed. Of the CB550 models the CB550(K0) would probably be my favorite and I have asked friends in the US to look for one. It was never imported in Europe. But it's all a matter of taste and de gustibus non disputandum est.
-
It boils down to “how much can you get it for†and how much do you want it. My personal policy has been I’d pay top price for a top price bike. This looks a tidy looking bike, I woul say it’s worth more but then I would be a bit bias.
If I sold mine for three grand I would be about three grand out of pocket. 😂
-
Thanks for the replies. Obviously you need the right buyer and you never get back what you put into them. The 550s seem to command less of a price and the k3 the least. But looking over the last few months they do seem to have taken a jump the last year. So I saw it as £4K. I could be dreaming though. I wouldn’t really be thinking of parting with it but a friend has a bike I’ve always wanted and might take this as p/x. I can’t have both as there isn’t the room in the garage.
Will keep looking at eBay etc to gauge price but with so few around it’s difficult to set a benchmark. Certainly recently imported ones with lots needing done seem to be £2-3k.
Would appreciate any other views and links to bikes for sale that might set a benchmark.
Thanks
-
The 2-3k is not really an accurate valuation, have seen worse go for 5k
-
£5k would be optimistic I think but from ones I’ve seen £4K certainly.
-
A lot depends on how quick you need to sell it, how origimal and finaly who wants it
-
Thanks all. I swapped it with my friend for a z900a4. Valued the 550 @£4k
I won’t be leaving though. Still have the 400/4 and 750/4
Pablo
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk