Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: captaindonutbikes on December 23, 2009, 09:58:40 AM

Title: painting
Post by: captaindonutbikes on December 23, 2009, 09:58:40 AM
Thanks for all the help so far peeps and getting down to so e christmas building fun.

My freshly blasted cases, being cleaned of all the nasties do they need painting including the cylinder block/head etc. I am loving the clean blasted finish but on the singles site the seem to advise painting them.

your thought please Gents.

And a merry Christmas!
 ;D
Title: Re: painting
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 23, 2009, 10:40:59 AM
They'll oxidise quickly if you don't paint them (or polish them regularly)

One or two of the guys on here have done good jobs with Halfords-type aluminium paint (I used it on my Sprint foothangers and it matched the original alloy nicely)
Title: Re: painting
Post by: Spitfire on December 23, 2009, 01:58:00 PM
As Steve says they look great now but leave them as is and they will soon oxidise and go crabby.

Cheers

Den
Title: Re: painting
Post by: Seamus on December 23, 2009, 09:48:46 PM
I used the Halfords Heat resistant stuff for my motor.

(http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/Gearbox_photos/front.jpg)

(http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/Gearbox_photos/side.jpg)

Looks OK
Title: Re: painting
Post by: pae on December 24, 2009, 08:33:47 AM
The Simoniz "5 Wheel Silver" does a fairly good job, covers well, doesn't run, dries quickly and had a lot of manhandling without flaking off.

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/cb650/pic217.jpg)

(http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s9/cb650/pic265.jpg)
Title: Re: painting
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 24, 2009, 09:06:46 AM
Does that Simoniz stuff have to be baked?

I baked my footpeg hangers at 250
Title: Re: painting
Post by: clive on December 24, 2009, 12:33:56 PM
try overnight with the turkey ::) hic ;D
Title: Re: painting
Post by: pae on December 24, 2009, 02:06:44 PM
Does that Simoniz stuff have to be baked?

No, I didn't bake it.
Title: Re: painting
Post by: captaindonutbikes on December 24, 2009, 04:23:46 PM
Think i might avoid putting it in with the Turkey  :D

Simoniz looks good stuff
Title: Re: painting
Post by: Spitfire on December 24, 2009, 07:01:19 PM
Cooked my cylinder head too much as well and it went yellow, I was working in 0c and the instructions on the can were in 0f. No wonder.
The paint I used was US Automotive paint, used a lot of their stuff on the F1, brake rotors, master cylinders and caliper paint, plus the engine paint. Worked well.
https://www.usautomotive.co.uk/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=47&curPage=2&sortField=sortorder

Cheers

Den
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/Rebuild-2.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Progress%20shots/Rebuild-3.jpg)
Title: Re: painting
Post by: Seamus on December 24, 2009, 09:25:55 PM
Nice job. 8)
Looks like an A65 in the background (or A50)
Title: Re: painting
Post by: captaindonutbikes on December 24, 2009, 09:34:32 PM
nice finish, altough why you did not use the HOT PINK Engine Enamel i will never know. ;D
Title: Re: painting
Post by: Spitfire on December 25, 2009, 09:53:21 AM
Yes that's my 1964 A65R, awaiting it's turn to be resurected.
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Bikes%20that%20I%20have%20owned/BSAA65.jpg)
(http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z244/DennisMcc/Bikes%20that%20I%20have%20owned/IOM_BSA.jpg)


Cheers

Den
Title: Re: painting
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on December 25, 2009, 10:32:43 AM
All: if you want to type
Title: Re: painting
Post by: Seamus on December 25, 2009, 01:44:44 PM
One of my old BSA's


(http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/Gearbox_photos/bsa.jpg)

1967 Spitfire


(http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r31/Gearbox_photos/scan0003.jpg)

Another from another life. 840cc Windle BSA
Title: Re: painting
Post by: Hardi on December 25, 2009, 02:55:53 PM
After blasting the engine I used a 2 components lacquer incl. hardener. Then I polished the engine covers.

Regards - Hardi
Title: Re: painting
Post by: notobikeparkingtax on February 21, 2010, 07:33:05 PM
Title: Re: painting
Post by: captaindonutbikes on February 21, 2010, 08:31:05 PM
off topic but F*CK THE WESTMINSTER SHADOW TAX!

good to see supporters on the forum (notothebiketax). Big smoke Local per chance ?
Title: Re: painting
Post by: notobikeparkingtax on February 22, 2010, 12:51:22 PM
I'm in Islington, been on every demo except the first two. Took part in the R.A.T.S blockade of Westminster City Hall &  I also do a little 'parking sign maintenance' on the side..if you know what I mean ::)

(sorry for the thread hijack)