Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB750 => Topic started by: robotman on January 10, 2010, 07:28:41 PM

Title: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on January 10, 2010, 07:28:41 PM
Any chance we can transfer any chat about this particular CB750 to this new topic
Daryl, Steve & Myself have been discusing these on the new members section
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 10, 2010, 08:10:47 PM
This was mine.

(http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/images/PRR800.JPG)

The front mudguard was signed by Phil Read

(http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/images/PRR%20Right%20Front%20Quarter%20454.JPG)

Sold to Phil Cronin. I think he was from Norwich. Here he is on the day he collected it.

(http://www.nirvana-motorcycles.com/images/Phil%20Cronin%20with%20PRR%20800.jpg)
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Yoshi823 on January 11, 2010, 01:35:56 PM
That looks really nice. When Bike magazine did a road test of the machine back in its day and sitting opposite the Highlander on the TT course, I made sure that I had a similar photo of my 750F2 in the same place...
(http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Tims750.jpg)
The summer of 1983...nice.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: SteadyEddie on January 14, 2010, 05:59:18 PM
Hers a pic of my old one I believe it was reg BAR 466T thats if my memory is correct, it was a long time ago 78/79 pic taken on the I.O.M and it's a Piper 4 into 1

(http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q173/sP3nc3r1_photos/bar.jpg)
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on January 17, 2010, 09:02:16 AM
Here are some pics of my bike - its now stripped of its plastic panels and I am about to strip the engine tc out of the frame so I can get it powdercoated
(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/pinkcamper/Phil%20Read%20Race%20Replica%20CB750/Picture001.jpg)
(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/pinkcamper/Phil%20Read%20Race%20Replica%20CB750/Picture002.jpg)
(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/pinkcamper/Phil%20Read%20Race%20Replica%20CB750/Picture004.jpg)
(http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/pinkcamper/Phil%20Read%20Race%20Replica%20CB750/Picture005.jpg)
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Darryl Chadwick on January 17, 2010, 12:26:30 PM
I think I remember seeing Your Bike in Motorcylce Mechanics a few months ago?

Darryl
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on January 17, 2010, 02:17:34 PM
Cant have been mine - I bought mine on ebay about 18 months ago
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on January 24, 2010, 07:27:10 PM
Hey Daryl - I am spraying my panels at the moment - where did you get your stickers/vinyls done for yours?
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on January 24, 2010, 07:58:56 PM
When you've done, I can probably get Phil to sign it for you if you like.

It'll mean a ride down to Canterbury.

Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Darryl Chadwick on January 28, 2010, 04:57:11 PM
I got mine from Sunrise Graphics, but out of the set he only used the Honda Emblem for the tank because the others were all plastic backed (square clear plastic) and they looked crap so he spent a good few hours cutting them from vinyl sheet, he then lacquered over them and they look the business. If You like I could ask him if he'd make up a set for You and how much
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Darryl Chadwick on January 29, 2010, 06:23:08 PM
Forgot to say that The Gent who painted My Bike made the Graphics. Not the Guy at Sunrise.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica - Bodywork manufacturer
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 01, 2010, 01:15:07 PM
There's a bloke in the Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club who has all of the moulds for the fairing, front mudguard & the tail unit. His name is Andy & his number is 0161-941-7873 or 07720-449991.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 08, 2010, 09:49:52 AM
I was up at the Docklands bike show on Friday & noticed the Phil Read Replica on the Classic Bike stand...she was getting as much if not more attention than the other bikes in my opinion...a very nice & clean example.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Darryl Chadwick on February 08, 2010, 05:08:18 PM
I'm glad You liked it. Its My first visit to London and the first time I've taken it to a Show. I spoke to lots of people while I was there, people who'd owned or new someone who'd owned one of these bikes many moons ago. So many people were shocked at My age and the fact I own a Bike older than Me as well as restoring it to such a high standard. Congrats to the Triton though, what a machine!

Sadly I will Be selling the Bike now as I'm to worried about using it and its worth to much to be left in My Garage. I'm struggling to find the true value of My Bike, being 1 of only 30 supposed PRR left in the World I would like some advice as to the best way to go about a valuation and means of selling. Bonham's? Classic Bike? Eba?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Darryl Chadwick
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 08, 2010, 09:02:53 PM
Not an easy one to answer i'm afraid. But I have seen a PRR on a New Zealand website, so they're far & wide.

By the way, what happened to the little black 'Honda' covers that go over the rivets holding the Comstar spokes to the rim?
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Darryl Chadwick on February 09, 2010, 05:15:37 PM
My Bike didn't have them when I bought it and I've struggled to get hold of them, not a great loss as I prefer them without.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on February 13, 2010, 08:35:53 PM
What do they look like - I might be able to make some copies?
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Voxonda on February 14, 2010, 09:44:42 AM
Really love the idea of a replica of a great machine. All the PR replica's are twoseaters, isn't it? Or are there also single seaters, which would make it more of a replica IMHO?

Cheers, Rob
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 14, 2010, 07:41:21 PM
I bought another seat base from Colin Seeley when he was building the 750SS so that I could have it reupholstered to look like a single seat. Then all I had to do when the missus wanted to go on the pillion was to pull the pin & swap them over.

But it didn't look as good as the seat on your bike Rob.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Yoshi823 on February 14, 2010, 07:52:50 PM
These are some pictures of a PRR that a fellow VJMC memeber sent to me. Does anyone on here own this now?
(http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/20080521_2.jpg)
(http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/20080521_1.jpg)
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on February 14, 2010, 08:53:46 PM
Interesting mirrors...
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on July 20, 2010, 10:05:30 PM
OK so it been a while....... but........ I have it back together and tonight I filled her up and tried to get it started....................
It didnt start  :( it backfired a bit and made a few coughs but it wouldnt go. I managed to flat the battery. then kickstarted till I was knackered !
What to do next. Re charge the battery, check the plugs. To be fair it hasnt run for at least 2 years. It was last on the road in 1999. Is there any chance I have the plug leads round the wrong way? as I took off the coils at Christmas.
I will keep you posted but any input would be helpful
Regards
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: K2-K6 on July 20, 2010, 11:25:02 PM
If they are standard coils / leads I don't think they'll reach the wrong plugs. but worth checking.

Some nice bikes there though.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Bryanj on July 21, 2010, 06:50:33 AM
If its still on points ignition spray them with wd40 and make sure they open and close
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on July 21, 2010, 10:10:24 PM
Tried it again tonight - its backfiring badly with sparks out of the exhaust !!!!
Think I might have to take it to the bike shop for a bit of help.........
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: K2-K6 on July 21, 2010, 10:24:15 PM
Try cranking it with throttle held wide open to get some air into it, DON'T pump the throttles as they fill the motor with fuel that is not used and then backfire the unburnt fuel in the exhaust.

Or get someone to push you in second gear with throttles open........close if it fires......quickly!

Sounds like the ignition / points are producing something as it wouldn't go bang otherwise.

One coil should supply No's 1+4 with the opposite from the other coil.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Seamus on July 21, 2010, 10:38:36 PM
I assume that you have done the obvious with plugs etc. As it has been apart, the carbs have been cleaned etc and fresh fuel in the tank?
Timing correct and no tight valves?

As I don't know what you have done, I sugest that you go back to basics, points (if yoyu have them) timing, new/clean plugs clean carbs (inside), tappets correct, etc.
Do you have a nice spark at the points? then plugs?

Hope I am not teaching Granny to suck eggs here
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: K2-K6 on July 22, 2010, 07:03:16 PM
The spoke end covers were used on the road bike but not on the racer which this is a replica of (the RCB of 1976 I think) so I guess either could be considered correct or of that period.

There is a good book that covers the racers of that period which the style was taken from "RIDE IT!" The complete book of Endurance racing by John Robinson.

Even got a picture of Phil Read on the works RCB in 1977 Bol d'Or, bike No5, partnered but Tony Rutter, as well as lots of wierd and wonderful "developments" from mainly european teams.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on August 03, 2010, 08:29:56 PM
Wahey ............... its all running fine now. I had the plug leads on the wrong cylinders  :D - what a prat I am. Now to just get it mot'd - failed last week because of headlamps pointing to high - difficult to get any adjustment on this bike as they are effectivly screwd into the fairing which doesnt have much movement!
Ive taken her round the block a couple of times - she runs well considering she has done about 30 miles in the last 10 years!
However - now she is finished it is time to put her up for sale as I have another project - a 1957 Messerschmitt bubble car in bits.
She will probably go on ebay unless any of you guys know of someone loking for one of these rare beasts?
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on August 03, 2010, 08:39:08 PM
My PRR had the same problem. The MOT tester looked inside the fairing, saw the way that the lamps were mounted, shrugged and carried on!
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: robotman on August 12, 2010, 09:18:08 PM
Well folks - she passed the mot test with flying colours. Ive run her round the block a few times and it rides really nice but............................
Ive put her up for sale.......... now on ebay with a low starting price and a reasonable minimum price
You can find the advert if you search for item number -   120608212286
10 days to go lets se if she finds a new owner
Steve
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Read Replica on August 18, 2010, 05:15:37 AM
Hi Robotman,

Sorry to see you are selling the old girl. Hope she does well for you, looks like quite a nice example in the photos.
I am watching the sale with interest. Not that I am in any way selling mine. Owned it for too long now to do that kind of thing.
I am actually at the opposite end of the life cycle with my Rep and have just put her back on the road after she last ran in public in 1985. Did a spruce up job on the frame, electrics and running gear (engine fine at 18000 miles so left alone) in 1998 but couldn't get her to run properly and so never got her back on the road. Inspired again and with discovering this and the US site I sorted out the few carb issues and over the last two days have put in nearly 400 miles on her. Absolutely loving her and getting many smiles to the gallon. Also can't believe the attention she attracts every time I stop somewhere.

Oh well, once again good luck with your sale, and I hope the new owner gets the same thrill that I am currently enjoying with my Rep.

have fun with the bubble car
Andy
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: ritchie-k1 on August 24, 2010, 05:11:33 PM
Could any of you fellas tell me where in the fairing the ignition switch is mounted on the Phil Read Rep as mine is in the standard position. I'm also wondering is there a way to verify that mine is actually an authentic example? frame/engine numbers etc? cheers fellas
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: Yoshi823 on August 24, 2010, 05:46:32 PM
Post up some pics of your bike from all angles. There are some tell-tale modifications that were done on the bike by Colin Seeley that will stand out.

I must admit to always wondering why the ignition switch was relocated to inside the fairing, & I think that it may well have been something to do with the wiring.
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: ritchie-k1 on August 24, 2010, 09:57:24 PM
Post up some pics of your bike from all angles. There are some tell-tale modifications that were done on the bike by Colin Seeley that will stand out.

I must admit to always wondering why the ignition switch was relocated to inside the fairing, & I think that it may well have been something to do with the wiring.

Hi sorry can't photo the bike as suggested as it's stripped although i do have a couple of pics that i'll get up of it when it was complete. It's got all of the right bits on it to be a PR excluding the silencer, the ignition switch being in the wrong place, and it's been quite badly painted straight red. I'm also not sure about how Honda produced 150 bikes in the Honda Britain colours and then I believe produced a further 250 of them in either white and blue or white and red. I'm trying to establish, A is it a genuine PR rep, and B if so is it one of the 150 or one of the 250.   :-\
Title: Re: Phil Read Replica CB750
Post by: ritchie-k1 on August 25, 2010, 12:16:01 PM
Could any of you fellas tell me where in the fairing the ignition switch is mounted on the Phil Read Rep as mine is in the standard position.

Just to answer my own question. I pulled out a 1978 copy of 'bike' magazine featuring the PR Honda which shows that the ignition switch is mounted to a panel inside the nose of the fairing to the left of the headlights. It doesn't state why it is re-positiond presumably for more of a race look as it's quite hidden inside of the fairing.