Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Deano400 on April 24, 2021, 02:18:54 PM

Title: Plastic Coated Frame
Post by: Deano400 on April 24, 2021, 02:18:54 PM
I'm sure in the past there has been a thread relating to plastic coated frames. I have searched for the thread without any joy.
There are a couple of things I'd like to get some advice on.
I think the bike I have just started has a plastic coated frame. Having never seen a plastic coated frame before is there a way I can tell if it's plastic or some sort of paint?
If it is plastic coated, will blasting remove it? If not, can anyone advise on the best method of removal?
Thanks
John
Title: Re: Plastic Coated Frame
Post by: Bryanj on April 24, 2021, 05:03:42 PM
Never heard of plastic but powder coat "plasticises" with the heat used to bake it
Title: Re: Plastic Coated Frame
Post by: Deano400 on April 24, 2021, 05:28:30 PM
Cheers Bryan.
Title: Re: Plastic Coated Frame
Post by: martin_uk on April 26, 2021, 01:51:56 PM
I had a Norton Commando that PO had frame plastic coated.

Sounds like a good idea, but started to seperate and water  got in between.
Title: Re: Plastic Coated Frame
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on April 26, 2021, 03:39:10 PM
All the brackets on my Rickman (Hondastyle) fairing (see avatar) were plastic coated.

After a year or two with the vibration and the UV breaking down the plastic, it had cracked and the underlying steel had rusted pushing more of the plastic apart.

I think it was a solution looking for a problem. Probably cheaper too .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: Plastic Coated Frame
Post by: JamesH on April 26, 2021, 05:16:05 PM
You need to find someone with a Pyrolitic burn-off oven to burn off the plastic coating and turn to ash. As long as the whole frame is heated/cooled in a uniform manner there will be no warping/damage. Just don't be tempted to 'throw it in a bonfire' as someone once suggested I try as an alternative option...
Title: Re: Plastic Coated Frame
Post by: Deano400 on April 27, 2021, 09:45:14 PM
Thanks JamesH.