Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: billdn on May 16, 2021, 02:12:57 PM
-
Still having troubles setting the damn timing , see earlier post, so thought I'd have a good check on everything - the advance/retard unit has what looks to be some wear around the base -I say wear because it looks uneven, eg not machined and is worse on the 1-4 side compared to the 2-3 side - could this be why I have hit and miss success when trying to set up static timing with a test light, no matter how much I adjust points gap. Or am I just clutching at straws! Pics of a new one on DS are not clear.
-
Not surewhat you mean as there is only 1 cam that operates both 1/4 and 2/3
-
Not surewhat you mean as there is only 1 cam that operates both 1/4 and 2/3
Bryan
It's just that the central column seems unevenly worn where the bob weights go in .
-
As per Oddjod plus if there is no sideways play between cam and shaft its ok
-
What are the actual symptoms when trying static timing? I made a mistake once when I didn’t connect the croc clip properly to just the wire and accidentally grounded it.
-
If using a bulb it should light just as the F Mark lines up with the static mark
-
Gentlemen - thank you for your advice and reassurance. For some reason I decided to turn the advancer unit through 180 degrees, to be honest I don't recall taking it apart previously but it's been so long I can't remember!
Any way everything went swimmingly with setting timing and test light , turned the key and she started!!! All this time advancer unit was wrong way round -aargh!
So pleased!!!, would put up a video clip but it tells me it's too long to load.
But it does show the value of this group and like minded people.
Alright it smokes like a chimney(assembly oil) and the carbs need balancing but I've built my first ever engine and it works!!
-
That's a great result Bill,
No one can take that feeling of elation away from you when the pile of inanimate bits of otherwise scrap metal bursts into life after your own work. Even after 50 odd years of black fingernails, I still get that same buzz - I think we all do!
Keep up the good work!
Ian
-
An easy mistake, great result and just in time for better riding weather!
-
It's great when a plan comes together, I can well remember timing my 250 AJS, timing disc, rod down the plug hole. Very precise but it would not work at all, spent ages at it then the light bulb moment came, I had been turning the engine backwards.
Cheers
Dennis
-
I had a magneto ign Triumph T110 and i once timed it on the lh cyl instead of the rh and it ran like a sick pig, after carefull checking the slip ring in the maghad a 15 deg variation between the sides, took me several hours with a stone to get them within 5 deg