Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: Orcade-Ian on May 20, 2021, 11:02:05 AM

Title: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 20, 2021, 11:02:05 AM
A few of us have been getting letters from DVLA asking 'Is your vehicle still off the road?'  I declared SORN over a year ago on my C50 LAC (almost bugger all VED)  which, according to their own information lasts indefinitely or until I either tax or sell it - so why are they wasting our money asking again?  Anyone know what they are up to?  No wonder it's taking longer for them to carry out important tasks.

Ian

Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 20, 2021, 12:08:22 PM
That’s interesting Ian, I was confused just got a notification through for one of the C90s that I sorned an year ago.
What a complete waste of resources.
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on May 20, 2021, 01:15:59 PM
Me too.

I wondered for a moment that they’d changed the rules (again) and had to SORN every year.

The letter was a full page which told me precisely nothing concerning the bike identified in the title…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 20, 2021, 03:38:29 PM
I really can't get my head around this 'new process'. I can only think that they are hoping that someone reacts and taxes a vehicle previously sorned (who made that a verb??) so they get some money for nothing.  That's surely rather doubtful as anyone savvy enough to declare sorn and not just leave a vehicle taxed shouldn't fall for it.  It will be interesting to see if anyone with a tax exempt historic class vehicle gets one of these reminders, where the DVLA stand to gain nothing.  Just how 'green' is sending out all of these pointless letters?  That reminds me, must get an mot on our gas guzzling 3.9 litre V8 MG  :)

Ian
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: fogrider on May 20, 2021, 05:29:38 PM
My guess is they are checking who is still alive and/or still own that vehicle.  Tens of thousands of vehicles over the years have been scrapped without DVLA being notified. Dead numbers they could sell or allocate.
If you get such a letter, ensure you reply and tell them it's a treasured possession or you MAY LOSE the reg. number !

Thanks for the nudge, I'll dig out some old V5's of my long term (non happening ) projects and see about re-sorning them.

Regards, Terry.
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: nairb on May 20, 2021, 05:38:44 PM
My cb550k3 was taken off the road before the sorn came about.  So its not on a sorn.  I phoned the dvla up a couple of years ago and said would they put it on a sorn.

The answer from the dvla was NO.  It can only be done when taxing the vehicle.  Maybe this has changed?.  Its not even declared as an historic vehicle yet and without a sorn in place it might not be possible to do at the post office so its another 10 week wait for the paper work to clear the dear old dvla.
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Nurse Julie on May 20, 2021, 05:46:03 PM
My cb550k3 was taken off the road before the sorn came about.  So its not on a sorn.  I phoned the dvla up a couple of years ago and said would they put it on a sorn.

The answer from the dvla was NO.  It can only be done when taxing the vehicle.  Maybe this has changed?.  Its not even declared as an historic vehicle yet and without a sorn in place it might not be possible to do at the post office so its another 10 week wait for the paper work to clear the dear old dvla.
These days it must be either SORN or taxed, it doesn't matter which but you have to do one or the other. You can't have it both on SORN and Taxed at the same time, only one or the other. If its taxed for road use, it must be insured. If its SORN, it doesn't have to be insured. This is the case for vehicles registered as Historic or not eligible to be registered as Historic yet.
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 20, 2021, 06:21:30 PM
Just to explain further, they do not need a response UNLESS you want to tax it or tell them you no longer own it - they are not asking you to re-declare SORN. So an absolutely pointless letter.

[attach=1]


Ian
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: fogrider on May 20, 2021, 07:35:44 PM
Just checked a bike I've had (in bits) for 26 years - a CB77. It was classed as not taxed, so I sorned it. At least it is now on their radar as currently cared for.  It was an old blue V5c , so I suppose It could appear forgotten about.

The other bike I was worried about is already classed as  sorned and I could'nt find a way of updating that.

Regards, Terry.

Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: nairb on May 20, 2021, 10:34:38 PM
Just checked a bike I've had (in bits) for 26 years - a CB77. It was classed as not taxed, so I sorned it. At least it is now on their radar as currently cared for.  It was an old blue V5c , so I suppose It could appear forgotten about.

The other bike I was worried about is already classed as  sorned and I could'nt find a way of updating that.

Regards, Terry.
An interesting bit of info.  I just went on line and managed to sorn my cb550k3 which has been in bits for years and has/is being restored.  It was last taxed before the sorn system was implemented.  I now expect a letter from the dvla wanting an explanation why its not been on a sorn before......

When did this all change.  Several years ago they would not let me put the machine on a sorn.  Now I can so it seems.

Nairb
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: fogrider on May 21, 2021, 10:35:49 AM
I thought I better check some of the other bike  V5's I have dormant: ( all old blue ones , all Honda's )
3 sorned on-line OK, but two said the system won't let me do it on line and I have to go to a Post Office to tax the vehicle. I sense problems.

Those two were classed as not licensed. The voices in the radiator tell me the DVLA are up to something, I'm heading for the post office sharpish to ensure I don't lose those numbers, both the sort DVLA love to sell.

Looks like I ought to start selling things I'll never get around to, must get the paperwork right as a priority.

Regards all, Terry.


Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 21, 2021, 12:42:27 PM
Hi Terry,
I recently did one at the post office which was classed as 'Not Licensed' without problems.  They changed it to Historic and sent it to DVLA for me.  Don't worry about the voices in the radiator, just get to the post office.  As a few have said, this is a new hoop to jump through (for some) but could easily have repercussions and cynical me assumes there is an ulterior motive to it all.

Ian
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: royhall on May 21, 2021, 03:57:32 PM
Surely if you check the reg on the DVLA online website and it comes up as Sorn then it's Sorned and no further action is required. Has Sorned made it into the English dictionary yet?
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Orcade-Ian on May 21, 2021, 05:27:02 PM
Exactly Roy,
So why are we starting to receive useless letters from them at all?  They have it as SORN on their system - my own was done about a year ago and has regularly been taxed/Sorn/taxed over the last 20 years.

Ian
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: royhall on May 21, 2021, 06:44:51 PM
Exactly Roy,
So why are we starting to receive useless letters from them at all?  They have it as SORN on their system - my own was done about a year ago and has regularly been taxed/Sorn/taxed over the last 20 years.

Ian
It's a government department Ian, anything is possible. We will probably find out the wacky reason in the fullness of time.
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: mike the bike on June 19, 2021, 11:22:36 PM
When I changed the taxation class to Historic, I received three envelopes in the same post.
Not too efficient at Swansea are they.
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Bryanj on June 20, 2021, 07:40:20 AM
The automatic envelope stuffing robots dont communicate
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: MCTID on June 21, 2021, 12:35:01 PM
I recently sold my 1979 Suzuki GS750 and did the necessary online to advise DVLA. I duly received a note in the post a week or so later confirming they had done their bit and thanks for letting them know. 10/10....Roger so far'.

A week or so later I received another note in the post reminding me that said bike needed to be Taxed.....DOH....(the fact that it's an Historic vehicle which is registered with the DVLA as such and doesn't need to be Taxed just adds to the irony).

I used to be an Accredited Lead Auditor, but if I was to carry out an Audit of DVLA's Quality Management Systems (if they actually have any) it wouldn't take long to do would it....and I could even 'Write up the failures and findings' before I walked through their front door.

It seems to me that they feel they must have and must follow complicated systems as they try to cover every possible eventuality, whereas if they used one simple System for 95% of the vehicles they could save themselves (and us) a whole heap of time, trouble and expense and for the 5% of cases which cause the Gremlins, they could have Humans managing the process and charge a little bit more....now wouldn't that be nice ?
Title: Re: DVLA - 'ere, wos goin' on?
Post by: Nurse Julie on June 21, 2021, 01:30:59 PM
Even though it's registered as Historic Alan, it still needs taxing annually, even though its FOC. But obviously not by you if you don't own the bike anymore 🤪🤪🤪
Edit.... Or if its SORN of course.