Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB500/550 => Topic started by: mickwinf on May 23, 2021, 09:52:20 AM

Title: 550 tank
Post by: mickwinf on May 23, 2021, 09:52:20 AM
Apart from the paint scheme is the 550k3 and the 550 f2 petrol tank the same? My f2 tank has had the tank badge area fillered over and i would like a spare tank to renovate as original, and there is a k3 one on ebay.
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Trigger on May 23, 2021, 05:47:56 PM
We have already been though this before >>> http://www.sohc.co.uk/index.php/topic,6307.0.html

To add : Two sizes of fuel taps and there is two types of fuel flaps but, both fit  ;)
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Trigger on May 23, 2021, 07:09:26 PM
I find it annoying when people ask the same questions time and time again, when you can just do a search to find a answer  ;) 
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: mickwinf on May 23, 2021, 10:04:55 PM
ok thanks i will bid on the k3 one.
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: mickwinf on June 23, 2021, 12:08:29 PM
An update on this subject, i have just got a tank, and looks in good condition except a bit of rust inside. I have noticed where the tank filler cap is there is a raised rim around it, on my original tank it is not there. Does not matter either way but not seen it before.
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: AshimotoK0 on June 23, 2021, 02:50:54 PM
My advice Mick is to fill the tank with petrol, most important this bit, leave the cap off, now get a small angle grinder and really go to town on that rim, before you know it the problem won't exist anymore.

 ;D ;D ;D ;D
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: mickwinf on June 23, 2021, 08:58:40 PM
good advice Ken, is it ok to smoke while i do that?
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Seabeowner on June 23, 2021, 10:09:11 PM
Amazing what you don't notice as I have two 550s and never noticed they are different.
The F has the inner lip and the cap has a fold down handle to open/close. The other has a late K tank (the bike is a 77/78K) that I bought through ebay about 4 years ago. It doesn't have the lip and the cap has a fin along the top than is used to open/close. Additionally the top flap on the K has an extra bracket that engages with the fin to ensure the flap will not close unless the the cap is 100% closed.
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2021, 09:58:05 AM
As marvin the martian said

Wheres the kaboom, theres supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom


Which is also the ring tone on my fone when my wife rings
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on June 25, 2021, 10:02:37 AM
Had to look that up Bryan…


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2021, 10:09:01 AM
Yeh well you young snapperwhippers don't remember the best TV like Fireball XL5 and if you go far enough back four Feather Falls ( the first marionation )
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2021, 10:14:27 AM
Yeh well you young snapperwhippers don't remember the best TV like Fireball XL5 and if you go far enough back four Feather Falls ( the first marionation )

I also remember "Torchy",Torchy the battery boy" - I loved the chocolate puddles.

On the issue of repeat questions raised earlier I plead guilty. 

In my defence when I search terms there often comes up an endless list where one word is is mentioned but the subject matter is not relevant or sufficiently covered.
There is also the fact that sometimes a better solution is found as knowledge increases or new products / parts are available.
Clearly this can be tiresome especially to current & retired professionals.
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: SteveD CB500K0 on June 25, 2021, 10:16:50 AM
I was a big fan of Steve Zodiac (good name eh?)

In 1962 I was 4 years old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2021, 10:25:07 AM
must admit to preferring Marina in Stingray but remember Robie the robot "On our way home"
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2021, 10:25:50 AM
I was a big fan of Steve Zodiac (good name eh?)

In 1962 I was 4 years old.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was already a hormone driven 14 year old in 1962 working illegally at weekends as a forecourt attendant and fitting heater units in new Vauxhalls during the school holidays (heaters came from the factory in a box in the boot on all but the highest Deluxe models). lol
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2021, 10:28:43 AM
must admit to preferring Marina in Stingray but remember Robie the robot "On our way home"

Marina was ahead of her time with the trout pout lips.

Maybe I'm confusing her with Lady P?
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: mickwinf on June 25, 2021, 11:41:40 AM
Ted i agree the search function is not always useful, and Bryan fireball xl5 was my favourite, the front bit of the spaceship detached as did the real life craft in later years.
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2021, 12:32:33 PM
For my sins i have the box sets of
Four feather falls
Fireball xl5
Stingray
And of course Thunderducks
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: philward on June 25, 2021, 12:47:53 PM
What about Muffin the Mule (wouldn't be allowed these days!) and Captain Pugwash (Wouldn't be allowed these days - characters were Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. And that Pugwash itself was Australian slang for oral sex.)
Luckily I was too young to understand!
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Moorey on June 25, 2021, 01:09:51 PM
What about Muffin the Mule (wouldn't be allowed these days!) and Captain Pugwash (Wouldn't be allowed these days - characters were Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. And that Pugwash itself was Australian slang for oral sex.)
Luckily I was too young to understand!

 As a Pugwash fan that is simply untrue. The origin of that myth is it is likely from a student rag mag.
Capt  Pugwash
Master  Mate
Willy
Barnabas
Tom the cabin boy
Cut Throat Jake
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2021, 01:18:27 PM
What about Muffin the Mule (wouldn't be allowed these days!) and Captain Pugwash (Wouldn't be allowed these days - characters were Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. And that Pugwash itself was Australian slang for oral sex.)
Luckily I was too young to understand!

 As a Pugwash fan that is simply untrue. The origin of that myth is it is likely from a student rag mag.
Capt  Pugwash
Master  Mate
Willy
Barnabas
Tom the cabin boy
Cut Throat Jake

I prefer Phils version of the cast.
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: philward on June 25, 2021, 01:24:22 PM
I bow to your fan knowledge Moorey - just cut and paste from tinternet. (just re-read and it does say its an urban myth) - I can only remember the actual programme from my childhood
Muffin was 50's so I'd have been really young - vague recollection
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on June 25, 2021, 01:56:12 PM
I bow to your fan knowledge Moorey - just cut and paste from tinternet. (just re-read and it does say its an urban myth) - I can only remember the actual programme from my childhood
Muffin was 50's so I'd have been really young - vague recollection
I had a Muffin the Mule string puppet when I was around 7 yrs old!
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Bryanj on June 25, 2021, 03:29:44 PM
Along with Muffin you had
Andy Pandy(rumours it was banned in some countries as he was always getting in the basket with Loopy Lou)
Woodentops(spotty dog)
Bill and Ben (Flobalob weeeed)
And the one I'd forgotten Rag, Tag and Bobtail

All in a series called Watch with Mother long before colour
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Moorey on June 25, 2021, 03:47:03 PM
What about Muffin the Mule (wouldn't be allowed these days!) and Captain Pugwash (Wouldn't be allowed these days - characters were Master Bates, Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin Boy. And that Pugwash itself was Australian slang for oral sex.)
Luckily I was too young to understand!

 As a Pugwash fan that is simply untrue. The origin of that myth is it is likely from a student rag mag.
Capt  Pugwash
Master  Mate
Willy
Barnabas
Tom the cabin boy
Cut Throat Jake

I prefer Phils version of the cast.

 And so do many more, thats why the myth has lasted so long and gone around the world.  Not in the Black Pig I hasten to add.  ;)

Another favorite for me was Noggin the Nog. ;)
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Moorey on June 25, 2021, 03:56:02 PM
For my sins i have the box sets of
Four feather falls
Fireball xl5
Stingray
And of course Thunderducks

 I used to have a Tex Tucker outfit, Strangely the guns never swiveled on their own but that didn't seem to matter back then. ;D
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: PHILIP2908 on June 25, 2021, 04:28:22 PM
Used to rush home from school for this: Mike Mercury (another great name) and SUPERCAR !![attach=1]
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Moorey on June 25, 2021, 06:16:12 PM
Used to rush home from school for this: Mike Mercury (another great name) and SUPERCAR !! (Attachment Link)

  I had the Budgie Supercar  with retractable wings as a kid as well  ;D
Title: Re: 550 tank
Post by: Seabeowner on June 25, 2021, 06:57:38 PM
Torchy, Twizzle and Four Feather Falls were made in the hall of a big house (Islet Park House, now flats) just 1/2 mile from me, before they moved to Slough Trading Estate.
Tex Tucker was Nicholas Parsons.
And just to bring it back to bikes. I had new tyres fitted on my ER6N a few years ago at their first premises on the trading estate which is Pro Tyre. Their more elaborate (Thunderbirds era) buildings were demolished.