Honda-SOHC

SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 29, 2021, 02:40:35 AM

Title: What socket do folk here use for Big End nuts?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 29, 2021, 02:40:35 AM
Whilst doing the Plasigauge on my Big Ends today I had trouble finding any of my sockets that would fit the nuts properly due to the small gap between the nut and the bearing cap. Out of four of my 12 mm sockets the best fit was a 1/4 drive socket with an adapter for my torque wrench but the fit was far from ideal.

When I come to fit the crank I am wondering if there is a decent brand of 12mm socket for the job perhaps a 3/8 drive that anyone can recommend ?

My so called thin walled 12 mm 1/2" drive one was not thin enough. Annoyingly my old Kamasa 3/8 drive set does not have a 12 mm one it jumps from 10 to 13 via 11 none are missing!
My best socket set is a Britool but its all A/F as was the fashion when I worked on cars in my youth.
Title: Re: What socket do folk here use for Big End nuts?
Post by: philward on May 29, 2021, 10:29:40 AM
I had to grind a socket down when I did mine Ted - think other members have done the same from memory
Title: Re: What socket do folk here use for Big End nuts?
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on May 29, 2021, 12:39:10 PM
I had to grind a socket down when I did mine Ted - think other members have done the same from memory

There is me thinking it was my mostly cheap sockets I will modify one to sort it thanks!
Title: Re: What socket do folk here use for Big End nuts?
Post by: Johnny4428 on May 30, 2021, 07:25:45 AM
I was the same ground the edge off a socket in the past but now I have a three drawer chest complete with tools that I purchased to have in another shed and ended up taking it to w/shop because it has a comprehensive selection of sockets long and short that seem to be slim enough for these jobs. It’s Halfords Advanced, quite impressed and good quality.
Title: Re: What socket do folk here use for Big End nuts?
Post by: wildtapholer on May 30, 2021, 11:23:16 AM
I was the same ground the edge off a socket in the past but now I have a three drawer chest complete with tools that I purchased to have in another shed and ended up taking it to w/shop because it has a comprehensive selection of sockets long and short that seem to be slim enough for these jobs. It’s Halfords Advanced, quite impressed and good quality.
That's exactly what I was going to say, I bought the halfords advanced tool box set for £99 on offer 10yrs ago now and it has everything you could want in it, and should anything break it gets replaced free of charge under the life time warranty