Honda-SOHC

Other Stuff => Misc / Open => Topic started by: smoothoperator on July 09, 2021, 05:20:43 PM

Title: tightened or not
Post by: smoothoperator on July 09, 2021, 05:20:43 PM
Rebuilding my engine and I'm looking for a way to mark nuts etc that have been tightened, too many paint pens to choose from, but can anyone recommend one or some alternative?
Title: Re: tightened or not
Post by: ST1100 on July 11, 2021, 03:24:51 PM
oil pastel chalk or whiteboard marker come to mind... both are non permanent...
(omnipresent on Japanese made kits I'm working with/installing  8) )
Title: Re: tightened or not
Post by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 11, 2021, 03:57:36 PM
Yellow Tyre chalk.
Title: Re: tightened or not
Post by: Spitfire on July 11, 2021, 07:00:02 PM
I use Humbrol model paint and a paintbrush.

Cheers

Dennis
Title: Re: tightened or not
Post by: 4wDaz on July 11, 2021, 07:18:56 PM
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392850493451?hash=item5b77b6d00b:g:IAsAAOSwMTZe81pO (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392850493451?hash=item5b77b6d00b:g:IAsAAOSwMTZe81pO)

These are good pens, worth a try at that price ?
Title: Re: tightened or not
Post by: smoothoperator on July 12, 2021, 09:14:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll give the ebay pens a go.
Title: Re: tightened or not
Post by: MrDavo on July 12, 2021, 07:14:08 PM
When I was racing, after a scrutineer pointed out, to my horror, that my upper shock mounts were finger tight, I adopted a policy that I still use today - either properly tighten everything in case it gets forgotten, or make it obvious that something isn’t tight by just starting the thread.
Title: Re: tightened or not
Post by: royhall on July 13, 2021, 07:54:54 AM
Putting fasteners on finger tight to be secured later is a very dangerous policy that will always lead to loose bolts etc. Whatever your working on either leave it off completely or tighten everything before you leave it. This is the advantage of having an MOT (even for the exempt bikes) after a rebuild, another set of eyes to check it's all done correctly.