Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 23, 2021, 10:37:08 PM
-
I have a new primary drive chain - regarding the two primary drive shaft bearings is there a proper way of checking them for wear ?
I cleaned mine in petrol - lubricated them gave them a spin so in the absence of any poor rotation, noise or general movement etc decided they are ok.
The bearing cage makes it almost impossible to see any pitting or anything.
I've priced the bearings at a fair price @ £14.30 at DS do folk here replace them if funds allow ?
-
I would if it were me Ted, I would have to say 'why not'. The bearings will have a number on them, have a look on ebay or other bearing suppliers and you will get them a lot cheaper than DS.
Make sure the bearings are a good make, NTN, KOYO etc.
-
Thanks for that NJ.
-
Ds use NTN, does it say 6205 on it Ted ?
-
Ds use NTN, does it say 6205 on it Ted ?
Yes it's marked as JAPAN DY NTN 6205.
Looking at bearing suppliers they list several bearings under the same number as per this link with 13 & 15 mm thickness.
https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=ntn%206205&
-
Are they 13mm or 15 mm ? My wholesaler list them instock but the 15 mm are alot cheaper
-
Are they 13mm or 15 mm ? My wholesaler list them instock but the 15 mm are alot cheaper
My calipers say 15 mm width.
-
I'll price a pair up and pm you if you want ?
-
I'll price a pair up and pm you if you want ?
That would be good if it's not too much trouble I've sent an enquiry to a Derby firm by e-mail.
My worry is the type descriptions such as Open Type (that fine) Deep Groove ??
-
Open type means they are not shielded at the sides that’s all, Pm sent
-
6205 should all be the same outer, inner and width
-
6205 should all be the same outer, inner and width
Yeah thats what i thought but if you look at the link for simply bearings it quotes 2 widths, 13mm and 15mm as does my supplier
-
6205 should all be the same outer, inner and width
Yeah thats what i thought but if you look at the link for simply bearings it quotes 2 widths, 13mm and 15mm as does my supplier
Thanks for the PM & your help. Cheers Ted
-
Thanks for the PM & your help. Cheers Ted
No problem, parts supply is a big part of my day job so if I can help somebody save a few quid I’m more than happy to help out