Honda-SOHC
SOHC.co.uk Forums => CB350/400 => Topic started by: McCabe-Thiele (Ted) on July 24, 2021, 11:03:09 AM
-
I've just put my outer top ball bearing race in position - it does not appear to be as far down as I recall it being before.
Does the below picture look right it's not wanting to go down any further?
The bearing looks pretty even all the way around the photo is a deceptive - its red synthetc grease you can see not my blood.
(https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51332597510_4496c91e46_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/2md5YQE)top outer bearing (https://flic.kr/p/2md5YQE) by Macabe Thiele (https://www.flickr.com/photos/187487200@N03/), on Flickr
-
Put your finger through the hole and see if the race is down to the step in the casing
-
Put your finger through the hole and see if the race is down to the step in the casing
I've tried that but my fingers are too big - I've tried bending some thin feeler gauge into where my fingernail should be but can't find a gap / ridge so it must be okay I guess - a few bumps in the road might help then it can be adjusted fully (I dont want to risk overtightening it) - I have screwed the slotted head top adjuster down by hand - it's screwed down okay with the threads just about to peek through the top of the threaded nut if that makes sense.
I have used a taper roller with a 3 mm spacer in the bottom with standard plain ball bearing at the top. Just found that my top domed nut thread is a bit flattened looking so I aim to try to get a replacement if available if not I'll have get a tap put down it. The column thread looks good.
Just looked at the shape of the frame column and compared the depth at the top enlargement with the old bearing race it must be seated okay - I've been thrown off course a bit by the bottom that has a much deeper recess. I'm a happy bunny now.
-
If in doubt tap it back out Ted, do a few measurements and put your mind at rest.
I've done that once - even put the outer race in the freezer for 16 hours. Looking at how the top nut with its domed sides fits I'm happy with it. I also checked the old race against the outside so it's done. Gawd I certainly have learnt one thing if I do another project - take more pics & make more notes before I get carried away with dismantling. lol